Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

vietnam motorbike tour on ho chi minh trail from hanoi to saigon

Posted by duncanperkins on 29/4/2016 at 03:28

we plan riding motorcycles from hanoi to saigon in this dec but have only 12 - 14 days. Can we do such a trip in such a time frame? could you share with us the experiences or remarkable notes for such a ride?
should we need something arranged by a motorbike tour agency or manage all by ourselves?

#1 duncanperkins has been a member since 21/4/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by Robprrtt on 3/5/2016 at 22:21

International licenses are not recognized in Vietnam and therefore if you do not have a Vietnam drivers license you will be driving illegally.Besides that important issue, Vietnam is a very long country with not the ideal road conditions. Making it from HCMC to Hanoi in your time frame is quite a hectic pace that leaves little time for enjoying this beautiful country.

#2 Robprrtt has been a member since 28/3/2016. Posts: 17

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by oasisbarhatien on 3/5/2016 at 23:14

Well,actually,the last post is not quite correct.As long as you hold a full motorbike licence-for the class of motorbike you will be riding-in your own country,and you have an International Driving Permit(Not an International license-there's no such thing) as well-then you can ride a motorbike quite legally in Vietnam.This law changed about a year ago.BUT-whether it is a good idea or not is another matter entirely.Where will you get the motorbikes from/Buy or rent? Are you an experienced motorbike rider?If the answer is "no" then don't even consider it.Vietnam is not the place to learn to ride a motorbike.And certainly not Hanoi ,the Ho Chi Minh Trail,or Saigon.Also-to go from Hanoi to Saigon-a distance of at least 1700km in 12/14 days will be pushing it.I don't think you have enough time to do this journey.I have had a full motorbike licence for 40 years-,and driven motorbikes in Vietnam for 4 years,and I wouldn't do it.

#3 oasisbarhatien has been a member since 12/8/2010. Posts: 113
 Send oasisbarhatien a private message   Website 

Posted by 12xu on 20/5/2016 at 04:23

I totally agree with oasisbarhatien. though you should check the best motorbikes guide about Ho Chi Minh Road . published on the best independent travel guide about Vietnam , Vietnam Coracle. No bullsht , it is just about things that the author has experienced himself on his motorbike. enjoy ! http://vietnamcoracle.com/ho-chi-minh-road-the-best-bits/

#4 12xu has been a member since 15/1/2014. Posts: 1

Posted by gecktrek on 20/5/2016 at 06:24

hey, it would certainly be an awesome trip and one i have always wanted to do... licensing aside, you would have to arrange a bike before you arrived, and one that you could pick-up in hanoi and drop-off in saigon. you would be looking at riding 150km per day with no contingency for any break-downs. in 2013 i did a 1500km trip though the central highlands in 13 days, averaging 115km per day, but had a few days up my sleeve for any problems/delays, luckily i had none. as mentioned before, it would be pretty tight logistically and time-wise but worthwhile if well planned...

#5 gecktrek has been a member since 24/3/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 153
 Send gecktrek a private message   Where has gecktrek been?   Website   Flickr  

Posted by pukekiwi on 12/6/2016 at 18:27

Honestly 12 -14 days for this trip is a bit of a push. If time is limited I would look at cutting the country in 1/2, do one this trip and the other next time. Look at hiring a company that supplies a guide and bikes.

#6 pukekiwi has been a member since 31/3/2016. Posts: 1
 Send pukekiwi a private message 

Posted by daawgon on 13/6/2016 at 19:29

How do you plan to arrange the insurance?

#7 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,158
 Send daawgon a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.