Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

North Vietnam trip Sapa-Xin Man-Ha Giang, Questions about car hire w/ driver from Sapa to Ha Giang

Posted by Nkaschub on 30/4/2016 at 15:15

Hello,

My wife and I are planning on backpacking around Northern Vietnam in the middle of this upcoming September, we have 8 full days to explore. My plan right now is that after we fly into Hanoi we will take the overnight train that same day to Lao Cai . We are then planning on spending 3 nights outside of Sapa in the area of Ta Van, hiking and possibly renting a motorbike. After the three days I would like to find a car with driver to hire and have him drive us to Ha Giang via Xin Man, spending one night in Xin Man on the way. I understand these would be two long possibly slow days on the road but the scenery looks unbelievable. Then once in Ha Giang I plan on renting a motorbike and spending 3 days riding the Dong Van, Meo Vac loop. Once back in Ha Giang we plan on taking the overnight bus back to Hanoi and flying out the next day.

I have a couple questions about this plan. One, to those Vietnam experts does this look feasible? And Two, and more specifically I have not been able to find any specific information about hiring a car to drive us From Sapa or Lao Cai to Ha Giang(via Xin Man), is this possible? Are there any companies or people that someone could recommend I get in contact with and does anyone know any approximate prices for this 2 day trip from Sapa to Ha Giang. I have seen that there is supposedly a twice daily public bus between them but it does not go through Xin Man and I would prefer to have our own wheels.

Thank you ahead of time for any help, we enjoy seeing a lot on our vacations and it seems like the area around Sapa and Ha Giang have a lot to offer and I would love to see both of them.

#1 Nkaschub has been a member since 7/1/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by Yesterday on 1/5/2016 at 18:42

Sapa OChau offer a - Northeast Vietnam Lunarscape 6 day 5 night tour ex Sapa arrive back in Hanoi. Having used them before I'm sure they would be flexible with the itinerary if its not quite what you want.
http://www.sapaochau.org/trekking-and-homestays/treks-and-tours/package-tours/northeast-vietnam-lunarscape-6-day-5-night/

It's a Hmong owned social enterprise, so a good business to support

#2 Yesterday has been a member since 9/8/2015. Posts: 33

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by Travelone1 on 1/5/2016 at 22:59

You want to do a lot in 8 days and conditions will dictate time. I have travelled to both areas separately and each worth a visit. As Sept is high season Sapa and surrounding areas will be busy. Your best choice is the Hai Giang Dong Van loop, This scenery is absolutely spectacular you will see nothing like it anywhere else. The ride from Dong Van to Meo Vac along the mountain side will leave you breathless. Check out Vietnam Coracle motor bike guides as they have great photos and excellent content about your trip.

#3 Travelone1 has been a member since 7/4/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by daawgon on 3/5/2016 at 11:15

Hello

I know someone who hired a private car for his Ha Giang trip this spring - you can contact him with a PM through Tripadvisor

Good luck.

#4 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,158
 Send daawgon a private message 

Posted by Robprrtt on 3/5/2016 at 21:27

Hi,
Your itinerary sounds good, you can rent car or motobike at Sapa to travel to Ha Giang if you have license. Further, you should refer some other itineraries in Sapa at booking website such as the page and Tripadvisor as well. You should homestay at local people and join trekking tour around there
Good luck!

#5 Robprrtt has been a member since 28/3/2016. Posts: 17

Posted by Tivanne on 7/6/2016 at 00:16

Hello,
We hired a car to go from Hanoi to Ha Giang last year, so I'm sire you can do the same from Sapa to Ha Giang.
I can recommend you the company I used at the time, they were very reactive & efficient.
VIETNAMPATHFINDER TRAVEL Co., Ltd /CTY TNHH DU LICH NGUOI THAM HIEM VIETNAM
Address: No 37, Trich Sai Street, Tay Ho Dist. Hanoi Capital, Vietnam.
Phone: (084) 4 3 928 9776 - Mobile: 090 466 1416
Email: [email protected]/ [email protected]
Web: www.vietnampathfinder.com / www.thamhiemvietnam.com
I can recommend you one hotel in Dong Van - Hotel Rocky Plateau & l'Auberge de Meo Vac @ Meo Vac.

#6 Tivanne has been a member since 2/11/2015. Posts: 2

Posted by missamandalim on 7/6/2016 at 05:22

Personally, your itinerary is good. If you want to rent a private car, you should contact with sapatrekkinghomestay.com or your hotel where you stay who will tell me the best private car to rent.

#7 missamandalim has been a member since 13/5/2016. Posts: 17

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.