Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Travel by sleeper bus in Vietnam

Posted by Gr4v1ty on 22/5/2016 at 06:55

Hello.

I have been informinf myself on TripAdvisor for sleeper buses between HCM-DA Lat-Mui Ne-HCM and they freaked me out for sleeper buses. Is there a company you suggest taking?

#1 Gr4v1ty has been a member since 22/5/2016. Posts: 3

Experience the Andaman Sea
Experience the Andaman Sea
Ad Spend 3 days / 2 nights on The Junk
From US$400.

liveaboard.com

Read more

Posted by TerroirTravel on 22/5/2016 at 10:58

Hi,

I used 2 bus companies while in Vietnam. The Phuong Trang and the Sinh Tourist. The PT played horrible loud videos (music) the whole time from Rach Gia to HCMC. It was really awful.

I used ST to go from HCMC to Dalat, which does not require a sleeper bus, it's not that long of a trip. Also used ST from Dalat to Nha Trang. Also, a fairly short trip. No sleeper required.

As always, road travel is harrowing, but I preferred ST.

Tip- buy the ticket from the ST office. It's almost half the price you'd pay at any of the agencies. It's just off Pham Ngu Lao, easy to find.

Have fun!

#2 TerroirTravel has been a member since 1/2/2014. Posts: 76
 Where has TerroirTravel been? 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by Gr4v1ty on 22/5/2016 at 11:22

What about FUTA?

#3 Gr4v1ty has been a member since 22/5/2016. Posts: 3

Posted by missamandalim on 22/5/2016 at 23:55

Actually, FUTA is Phuong Trang bus

#4 missamandalim has been a member since 13/5/2016. Posts: 17

Posted by Gr4v1ty on 23/5/2016 at 10:23

Oh I see. Thanks. Are all the sleeper bus with chairs or horizontal beds

#5 Gr4v1ty has been a member since 22/5/2016. Posts: 3

Posted by oasisbarhatien on 29/5/2016 at 03:13

Don't travel on night buses in Vietnam(or Thailand or Cambodia) at all-ever.Simple as that.I've lived in Asia for 11 years and I would never travel at night on the roads.It's not safe.There are many reasons why this is so-poor lighting,tired drivers,unlit obstructions on the road etc etc.If you have lived here for any length of time you wouldn't do it.Winding mountain roads are especially dangerous.Fly,use the train,or if that isn't possible,take a bus from a large reputable company-Mai Linh,Kumho Samco or Futa(Phuong Trang) and travel during daylight hours

#6 oasisbarhatien has been a member since 12/8/2010. Posts: 113
 Send oasisbarhatien a private message   Website 

Posted by daawgon on 2/6/2016 at 10:40

Sleeper buses are a terrible way to die - do yourself a favor and take the train, PLEASE!

#7 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 1,159
 Send daawgon a private message   Facebook  

Posted by phuoctue on 2/6/2016 at 12:48

Hi guys,

As a local Vietnamese guy and used to take bus around the country, I would like to add a few input.
Sleeper bus from Saigon (HCM) to Dalat is quite safe comparing bus going across the country or routes to Mekong delta.

Remember the branded name bus operator: FUTA (aka Phuong Trang), Mai Linh, Kumho, and Thanh Buoi (only oerate Saigon Dalat route) and Sinh Tourist. These operators have a very strict penalties on drivers if they violated road legals (over speed, recless driving). They always have a WORKING hotline for passengers to report drivers' issues. Plus you can buy direct ticket online and bypass agents.

These bus are for sure have risk on road accidents but a lot lower than independent private bus operator who has no rules for drivers.

Only take bus on short trips (less than 500km) and bus driver in the South are more responsible than those in the North. Longer than that, it is better to take the train or airplane for your own safety. If you insist on bus travelling across the country, hire a bus and have control over the driver's behavior. Each day would cost you 100USD more depends on car selected.

If you started from Saigon, it is OK to take the bus for short trips and choose day trips. Night trips for Saigon - Dalat is fine and if you scared of sleer bus, call Thanh Buoi and ask for the regular seat buses. I have took hundreds of trips to and fro Saigon - Dalat and luckily I am still here typing... I have stop travelling on bus now since I have got myself a car.

Saigon - Phan Thiet (Mui Ne) route: Take the day trips and choose branded bus operators. This route has no hard concrete separator on the road (just 2 lanes with a yellow paint stripe in the middle of the road) and will be quite dangerous on night time.

Highway No. 1 in Vietnam are always packed with cars and bikes, average cruising speed is about 60km/h. So a 200km trip will take around 4 hours, 300km trip will be 6-7 hours, 500km trips will be 8-9 hours and even more if there are any traffic jam.

And hey, I am new here and this is my first post.

Regards,
Tue

#8 phuoctue has been a member since 2/6/2016. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.