Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Hanoi/Da Nang to HCMC, through the Central Highlands?

Posted by WVdVHK on 5/6/2016 at 17:02

Hi there,

I'll get right to it!

Short version: two no-motercycle licensed people wondering how they cancombine the route from Hanoi / Da Nang to HCMC with the Central Highlands - allin more or less six days (in July). Any tips?

Long(er) version: me and my girlfriend (both early 20's) will bevisiting Vietnam in July, and we're both trying to get a bit of the beatentouristy track. Our initial plan was to travel from Luang Prabang to Kasi andget a bit lost in daily Laos life, but as apparently bandits are out and aboutthere we decided to leave them be. We think we found a good alternative in theCentral Highlands of Vietnam, but as such the next questions arise: we fly into Hanoi and would take the train up to Da Nang (or further South). From thereon out we would like to travel inland, but we have no clue if that's evenpossible? We also have no motorcycle licenses, so doing a tour (which arepretty expensive anyway) that way is kinda out of the question.

Can anyone assist us regarding the best way to get around in the CentralHighlands, what we surely shouldn't miss and if there are absolute do's and (especially)don'ts?

We also found some stories about local authorities not being very happywith tourists, but most of those threads were quite outdated so not sure ifthat's still relevant? About accommodaties and such: we don't mind roughing itand are not very picky eaters, so there's no problem there! Lastly we only havemore or less 6 days to get from Hanoi to HCMC and although we know this is very(too) short, we would still like to spend as much of those 6 days in theCentral Highlands - if possible.

Thanks in advance!

#1 WVdVHK has been a member since 5/6/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by missamandalim on 5/6/2016 at 21:21

Personally, 6 days for Hanoi to HCMC, it's impossible. You should spend 2 weeks or more to travel from north to south of Vietnam, I'll show you my itinerary when travelling around Vietnam during 1 month: Hanoi – Halong Ninh Binh– HueHoi AnNha TrangPhan Thiet – Saigon – Mekong. Furthermore, if you don't have motor license, you can rent private car or public bus to transfer.

#2 missamandalim has been a member since 13/5/2016. Posts: 17

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by WVdVHK on 6/6/2016 at 02:56

Hi missamandalim,

First of all thanks for your reply!

Now, we are both aware that those 6 days are way to short to completely experience the route from Hanoi to HCMC - but we simply don't have more time. Given this constraint we still want to enjoy it as much as we can though. We could also take the train from Hanoi to HCMC in one go but that would be a little bit dull to be honest...

So the question remains: if you'd have to pick a few destinations in the Central Highlands, what would you recommend and are those places reachable by bus?

Thanks again!

#3 WVdVHK has been a member since 5/6/2016. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.