Text page

Vietnam

Vietnam forum

From Hoi An to Dalat

Posted by Annielay on 5/6/2016 at 22:57

Hello can anyone advise us two older travellers on the best way to get from Hoi An to Dalat and then to HCMC? Not recessarily the most basic or cheapest but with reasonable comfort and not too long time wise.
And is it worth going to Dalat at all or is there somewhere else on the way down to HCMC?

#1 Annielay has been a member since 23/6/2014. Posts: 17

Posted by missamandalim on 6/6/2016 at 03:34

From the north via Nha Trang on the coast. The most common tourist route is up and down the coast travelling by open tour buses or train. Dalat is a short detour inland from the hub at Nha Trang.[/li]

#2 missamandalim has been a member since 13/5/2016. Posts: 17

Posted by huelongtravel on 17/6/2016 at 00:38

You can go to Nha Trang City for beach a few days by over 10 hour bus or train drive and then to DaLat a few days by 3 or 4 hour bus drive and to Saigon (6 or 7 hour bus drive). And heading to Mekong.

#3 huelongtravel has been a member since 16/6/2016. Posts: 0

Posted by chantungsinz on 17/6/2016 at 02:11

Air through Danang is the best way, because the other options are very uncomfortable. Whatever you do, stay off the long distance "killer" buses. The train from Nha Trang takes forever and no need to waste vacation time like that.

#4 chantungsinz has been a member since 15/6/2016. Posts: 9

Posted by antoniamitchell on 17/6/2016 at 04:47

Yeah, you've got basically three options: head down the coast by train (a bit slow and uncomfortable, but some scenic bits), or take a bus (either down the coastal route again, or as you initially suggested going the inland route via dalat - please check the reputation of bus companies carefully - some are more comfortable and safer than others). Or fly in hops...

I did the route in reverse (saigon to dalat to hoi an) 5 years ago, and after seeing what the other road users on the highways were like, swore off long distance buses for the remainder of the trip. It depends on your scaredy cat level, I suppose (mine is high). So I elected to fly from dalat to hoi an. Dalat is fairly nice, mostly in my opinion because it's different than other places in veitnam you're likely to see , being geared to local tourists rather than westerners. It's extremely kitch.

Have a great trip.

#5 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 566

Posted by SoManyMiles on 30/7/2016 at 14:23 TF writer

There is a direct Vietnam Airlines flight from Da Nang to Da Lat , and there are a few airlines that do Da Lat to Saigon. This is the most comfortable and time efficient way.

#6 SoManyMiles has been a member since 7/2/2014. Posts: 147

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.