Text page

Vietnam

Vietnam forum

motorbike rental phu quoc

Posted by simonega on 23/6/2016 at 01:58

Hi,
Does anyone know the actual situationon renting a motorbike in phu quoc?
Is it possible to rent a motorbike or it is still not allowed?
what about the police? if they stop you they fine? how much?
many thank

SImone

#1 simonega has been a member since 20/11/2015. Posts: 2

Posted by chantungsinz on 23/6/2016 at 03:44

Discovering Phu Quoc Island is best done on a motorbike - though care and insurance are a must! Motorbikes can be hired for USD $5–12 a day at your hotel or any shop with a sign that says “Motorbike Rental”. Motorbike taxis can be hired for about VND 200,000–400,000 (USD $10–20) for a day trip and come with a free tour guide (assuming your driver speaks English)

#2 chantungsinz has been a member since 15/6/2016. Posts: 9

Posted by simonega on 23/6/2016 at 04:14

thank
I asked this because everiwere on the forums you can read that it is not allowed... etc.... and the police is pushing on tourist to get the fees.
So clearly I don't have the vietnamese driving licence....
what about if police stop me?
thank

#3 simonega has been a member since 20/11/2015. Posts: 2

Posted by matran12a17 on 8/7/2016 at 22:02

I don't really encourage you to hire a motorbike to travel around Phu Quoc. If Vietnamese police see you, certainly you will have some trouble. In addition, it is quite dangerous when you don't get used to controlling motorbike and know much about Vietnamese traffic. I think you should hire a electric passenger car to travel around Phu Quoc. The price is not so expensive

#4 matran12a17 has been a member since 21/6/2016. Posts: 8

Posted by SoManyMiles on 30/7/2016 at 14:32 TF writer

Hi,
See here:
https://www.travelfish.org/transport/vietnam/mekong_delta/kien_giang/phu_quoc_island/all
"By law, in order to drive a motorbike, foreigners must have an International Driving Permit. A fatal motorbike accident involving a tourist and prominent local in 2014 led to the change and local authorities do enforce it with regular stings specifically targeting foreigners. Long-time residents told us the fine can be as hefty as US$100, or worse, the bikes are confiscated by the truck full and held ransom for days, the fine increasing by US$100 a day. Also check the fine print of your travel insurance.

If you do choose motorbike, every hotel, guesthouse or tour agency will happily rent you one for 150,000 dong a day (but don’t expect any support with the fine)."
If you choose to rent a motorbike, you are taking a risk. But it is by far the easiest way to get around the island independently.

Hope this helps.

#5 SoManyMiles has been a member since 7/2/2014. Posts: 147

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.