Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

traveling solo in February

Posted by TravelingGirl on 3/12/2007 at 23:32

I will be traveling to Vietnam in February, spending the first couple weeks in the South on my own. I want to travel up north for approximately 20 days and will be traveling solo. What are some of the don't-miss sights (other than Halong, Hanoi)? Should I book a private tour in the US or wait until I arrive in Vietnam? I realize this will be pricy since I will be on my own.

Thanks a bunch!

#1 TravelingGirl has been a member since 3/12/2007. Posts: 5

Posted by somtam2000 on 4/12/2007 at 15:07 admin

No need to book in advance before coming out -- there's lots of people travelling solo in Vietnam and chances are you'll meet up with other solo travellers pretty quickly.

For the highlights, take a look at the Vietnam trip plans which should be a good starting point.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by CatBa on 5/12/2007 at 05:20

Posted from within Vietnam.

There is a BIG problem with travel in 2008 FEB - the Tet festival - a national holiday - falls on FEB 07.

At this time, running for about 4-5 days, ACCOMMODATION and TRANSPORTATION is EXTREMELY TIGHT as Vietnamese citizens visit their families many of whom seem to live well away.

The Vietnamese are dedicated Tet celebrants and you will find that services such as restaurants, etc are severely limited in the first couple of days of the vacation.

Ho Chi Minh and Ha Noi are good places to be as there are increasingly public celebrations whilst the Chinese areas have dragons wandering around collecting red packets.

As for females travelling alone: you will be very safe - just practice your usual cautions in the larger cities. The only 'hassles' you will experience will likely be from male travellers from overseas but you will no doubt know how to handle such unwelcome interest.

Note that contact lense solution is hard to locate and that Vietnamese females use Kotex pads - tampons not available except in a limited number of high priced outlets in the three largest cities. Deodorant is also absent.

#3 CatBa has been a member since 5/3/2007. Posts: 349

Posted by TravelingGirl on 5/12/2007 at 13:48

thanks for your response. Tet is not really a problem as I have planned around it. I am family and friends I can stay with during that week. I plan to start traveling north after Tet..just wondering if I would be able to book a tour while I am there or if I should do it in the US before I go.

#4 TravelingGirl has been a member since 3/12/2007. Posts: 5

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.