Text page

Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Da Nang- Hoian- Hue, should I travel with a tour?

Posted by SarahSw on 17/10/2016 at 00:06

Hello there!
I found many visitors choosing those places and giving good reviews about this tour. I also found some said that it is not too difficult for travelling by yourself. Is this okay for a woman to travel alone ? I have never been in Vietnam and one more question is that what time should I visit to avoid crowded public space ?
Thanks in advance.

#1 SarahSw has been a member since 12/10/2016. Posts: 4

Posted by antoniamitchell on 17/10/2016 at 05:30

You absolutely do not need to travel with a tour - it is perfectly safe and fairly straightforward to do it on your own.

There isn't really any time you need to avoid the country because of crowds - i'd select when you go based on the weather patterns in the part of the country you want to visit.

Finally, there are plenty of tour operators in Vietnam who practice some, shall we say, less than honest marketing practices. Just because you see good reviews doesn't mean they were written by fellow travellers - i'm afraid we've seen plenty of tour agencies pretending to be tourists to give glowing reviews of their own products (or write fake is-this-tour-any-good questions on travelfish so they can offer fake positive answers from another fake account). So take any and all reviews with a pinch of salt.

#2 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 566

Posted by daawgon on 18/10/2016 at 22:08

DIY is best - Vietnam is easy and wonderful, but be sure to do your research, PLEASE!

#3 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 1,159

Posted by SarahSw on 19/10/2016 at 04:56

Thank antoniamitchell and daawgon for your advices.

#4 SarahSw has been a member since 12/10/2016. Posts: 4

Posted by SarahSw on 19/10/2016 at 05:16

I have tried to travel by myself once. This place was that I had never been before and it wasn't without troubles lol. That is the reason why I feel hesitant between taking a tour and doing it myself. Any suggestions about travel tips for me? I also wanna take a cruise in Hoi An.

#5 SarahSw has been a member since 12/10/2016. Posts: 4

Posted by somtam2000 on 19/10/2016 at 07:02 admin

You can read about some of the boat tours in Hoi An here

I'm pretty sure none of the operators we mention are from any of the Vietnam-based travel agents who persistently post here pretending to be travellers asking for travel advice, so it should be of use.

#6 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,065

Posted by antoniamitchell on 19/10/2016 at 08:10

Hi again,

Don't worry about your first independent trip being a bit difficult - everyone's first time has some difficulties. It gets much easier after that first trip, though, and you'll find this too.

In other words: you got this.

My tips for a successful independent trip:

- Do your research (as Daawgon says). It all seems a lot less daunting once you know things like: what towns/areas do you want to base yourself in, what neighbourhoods in those towns have a good selection of hotels in your price range, how do you get from town to town (train? bus?).That sort of knowledge helps the whole trip seem a lot more straight forward and easy. The confidence that this brings means you relax and enjoy yourself more.

- Smile politely at people. Even if you don't speak the language, keeping calm and being friendly and polite go a long way towards smoothing the interactions with the locals.

- If something does goes wrong (like missing the bus you'd planned to take, or getting lost), try not to worry. These minor things happen to us all, and are very rarely serious. If you're the sort of person who gets worried or anxious about these sorts of things, ask yourself, so what? So what if you miss your bus? There's probably another one later that day. So what if you get lost? You ask someone for directions, and sooner or later you get unlost.

This probably sounds cheesy, but my mum and I have a movie quote we say to each other (or just to ourselves) when one of us is getting anxious or worried:
It will all be alright in the end, and if it's not alright, that just means it's not yet the end.

Happy travels.

#7 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 566

Posted by SarahSw on 20/10/2016 at 04:27

Thank all for your supports
Antoniamitchell , I am really thankful for the tips you shared.

#8 SarahSw has been a member since 12/10/2016. Posts: 4

Posted by mzungu on 20/10/2016 at 10:28

Hi,

It is pretty easy to travel solo, people are friendly and the tourist buses between stops work pretty well. I have done twice now, once in my youth with a small bag and the last time with these guys AsiaOdyssey ...

They arranged a very good tour, if you need give them a try, but if you have time and adventure this can be easily done with local transport, plus if you do get stuck, the local Vietnamese are always willing to offer help.

Have a great trip. Jealous.

#9 mzungu has been a member since 20/10/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by WelshMags on 31/10/2016 at 09:10

Hi Sarah,

I'm in my late 60's and travelled to Vietnam with my partner for the first time in 2014. We went back in March this year and already we are planning a joint trip to Australia and Vietnam for 2017!!

To help me get to grips with this amazing country John set me up with a ladies day with a girl called Xuan Tu in Hoi An - Sarah, this was the most amazing day of my life. And its one of the reasons we make the long trek from the UK back into this wonderful place. http://privatehoianguide.com/

Just to balance things, we have used Hanoi kids for our tours in Hanoi - free of charge and marvelous. And a guy called Bao Loc in Saigon and for the Mekon Delta.

Whatever you do in Vietnam, I'm sure you'll go home with memories of a lifetime
Margaret

#10 WelshMags has been a member since 31/10/2016. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 4

Posted by braylor on 1/11/2016 at 21:20

There will be some difficulties at the first time, for sure! but don't worry much about your solo travel. Just enjoy it!
It's quite easy to go to these destinations. Local people are also friendly, they' ll help you as much as they can.
You can ask also for information at your hotel.

When being there, if you still see something difficult and nearly impossible to do, try to book a tour with local travel agency.

#11 braylor has been a member since 26/9/2016. Posts: 13

Posted by antoniamitchell on 1/11/2016 at 21:52

Braylor makes a very good point. You don't have to commit to one way or another (solo or tour) in advance - you can easily turn up and try to travel independently, then if you do find it more difficult than you'd like, you can organise a tour for the next leg of your trip.

There are small travel agencies on practically every street corner (when you count in the fact that most hotels will also book tours) so you won't have any problems finding one - just do a little research if you do decide to book a tour, to ensure the one you select has a good reputation.

#12 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 566

Posted by maria5 on 21/12/2016 at 04:50

Hi

I also traveling solo next June 2017 and planing to go to Da Nang and Hoi an.
Arriving HCMH in late afternoon and leaving HCMH in the morning meaning I only have full 5 days in Vietnam. .
Here are some concern I want to ask :

1. I want to try night train to go to Da Nang, is it wise? or should I booked a flight the same day at my arrival date? which airline?

2. Planing 3 days in both Da Nang and Hoi an and 2 days in HCMH, Does HCMH worth 2 days?

Thanks

#13 maria5 has been a member since 21/12/2016. Posts: 1

Posted by daawgon on 23/12/2016 at 19:59

HCMC to Danang is a very long trip by train, and with such a limited time in VN, I would fly. Both Vietnam Airlines and Vietjet are high quality carriers, but don't book too far in advance as they do tend to like to change schedules.

If you could manage flying directly into Danang instead of HCMC, I think that would give you more time. The city where you would want more time is Hanoi, not HCMC!

#14 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 1,159

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.