Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Luggage storage at HCMC hotel?

Posted by Danila on 25/10/2016 at 01:43

If you're staying in Saigon and go out for a 3d/2n to Mekong Delta, would you ask the hotel in Saigon to store it, and check out/check back in after your tour, or would you keep and pay for the hotel in Saigon? (so you're double-paying, but places are inexpensive!) Which is the best option for security?

Thanks!

#1 Danila has been a member since 17/10/2016. Location: Global Village. Posts: 28
 Send Danila a private message   Website 

Posted by Want2BHappy on 25/10/2016 at 03:41

> Which is the best option for security?

Depends on the hotel. Everywhere I've ever stayed is happy to keep your luggage. Sometimes it's just in a pile in a corner behind reception or in the breakfast area. Sometimes (usually in more expensive places) it's in a locked room with luggage tags and a written receipt is given which is required to collect it. Never had a problem.

I wouldn't leave any expensive items in my bags anyway, since I wouldn't bring anything expensive to Vietnam in the first place. I'm not convinced that paying for a room to store luggage would really be any more secure.

#2 Want2BHappy has been a member since 23/2/2013. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 81
 Send Want2BHappy a private message   Where has Want2BHappy been? 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by Danila on 29/10/2016 at 23:49

Thanks Want2BHappy, fair comments! Unfortunately we don't have a choice on what to bring with us, as we're permanent travellers. So laptops are a part of our luggage, but we can probably manage those in small bag to take with us down the Mekong.

#3 Danila has been a member since 17/10/2016. Location: Global Village. Posts: 28

Posted by WelshMags on 31/10/2016 at 10:09

Most Saigon hotels are used to this issue, with travellers off to the Mekong for a couple of days then returning, often to move on to other parts of Vietnam or home through HCMC Airport. This is the same as in Hanoi, with travellers off to Halong Bay for a couple of days.

We've had luggage stored behind staircases, in locked rooms or even in a cubby hole behind reception. Its always been there when we return!

As permanent travellers you'll know not to leave expensive kit in stored luggage anyway. And I would agree that paying for extra room time would not necessarily provide any more security.

Hope that helps
Margaret

#4 WelshMags has been a member since 31/10/2016. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 4
 Send WelshMags a private message 

Posted by Danila on 31/10/2016 at 19:57

thanks Margaret, appreciate your viewpoint. I think I tend to agree!
cheers, Danila

#5 Danila has been a member since 17/10/2016. Location: Global Village. Posts: 28

Posted by Danila on 5/11/2016 at 06:43

thank you vnjourneys, good suggestions!
much appreciated! Danila

#6 Danila has been a member since 17/10/2016. Location: Global Village. Posts: 28

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.