Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

HCMC to Phnom Penh, via bus, with an evisa, and proof on onward travel - advice needed!

Posted by Brightmaw on 3/11/2016 at 17:43

Hello everyone,

Please take the time to read this post. I have looked over this forum for the answer but honestly can't see a comprehensive, or recent response.

My girlfriend and I will be travelling from HCMC to Phnom Penh in late December, via the Moc Bai Bavet Border Crossing.

I would be really grateful for any advice regarding getting through the border with an evisa. I understand many bus companies insist on a $5 processing fee to administer visas on arrival. However, as we do not need this service are we able to avoid the $5 fee?

I have read reports that to not pay the $5 risks being left behind by the bus. Is there a particular company less likely to do this? Has anyone any experience of crossing this border, via bus, with an evisa?

Finally, my girlfriend and I are British, and hope to take advantage of the visa exemption scheme, recently renewed, permitting 15 days visa free travel in Vietnam.

My question is around proof of onward travel.

Is proof of onward travel necessary to gain access to Vietnam, when taking advantage of the visa exemption scheme?

What research I have done suggests that proof of onward travel is, indeed, necessary. However, this advice comes from blogs, some quite dated. I am struggling to find any official Vietnamese site stating this stipulation clearly.

I have emailed the Vietnam Embassy in London yet, in response, only ever receive a stock email that makes not mention of onward travel.

In frustration I have emailed a series of visa-processing sites. So far two have responded, both stating that proof on onward travel is required, however this booking can be for a bus, as well as plane.

I don't want an expensive surprise in Hanoi Airport, so please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you smile.gif

Phill & Jayne

#1 Brightmaw has been a member since 29/4/2016. Posts: 14

Posted by Brightmaw on 5/11/2016 at 08:16

I don't mind paying the $5, just wonder if the bus companies recognise passengers with evisas don't to pay the full $35. Also, folks advice around which company to take would be appreciated.

Phill

#2 Brightmaw has been a member since 29/4/2016. Posts: 14

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.