Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

DIY DMZ Tour

Posted by nadirahmed on 21/2/2017 at 16:00

Hi everyone,

I'm going to try to do something like this when I get to Hue in early April.

Does anyone know if the minivans for Dong Ha goes from the northern or southern bus station in Hue? I'm assuming it's the northern one as that's the one you catch the bus to Dong Hai, which is beyond Dong Ha. Can anyone confirm?

Does anyone know where in Dong Ha it would drop me off? Would it be the railway station? I'd like to get to the DMZ cafe from there (although I sent them an email a couple of days ago and haven't yet had a response...) and arrange a guide/transport to the tunnels.

Anything else I need to think about? Any suggestions or tips gratefully received!

Nadir

#1 nadirahmed has been a member since 26/2/2015. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 17
 Send nadirahmed a private message 

Posted by SoManyMiles on 22/2/2017 at 07:12 TF writer

Hi Nadir,
Local buses for Don Ha most likely depart from the northern bus station in Hue , but please do double check with your hotel or a travel agency when you are there.

Where you get dropped off at in Dong Ha depends on what form of transport you take. If you take a local bus to Dong Ha, it will likely stop at the bus station on Highway 1, just 1.5 kilometres south of Muong Thanh Quang Tri Hotel. But you in fact can take any bus heading north on Highway 1 and they will drop you off somewhere on the highway as you pass through the city. This means you can take buses bound for Dong Hoi, Vinh, even Hanoi. If you write down a significant landmark or intersection along Highway 1 of where you want to be dropped off and show it to the attendant, they are usually good about doing so.

Alternatively, you can take the train from Hue to Dong Ha, takes an hour.

I wrote about the DMZ tours here https://www.travelfish.org/sight_profile/vietnam/central_vietnam/quang_tri/dong_ha/3221
and have heard positive feedback on Tam's Cafe tour. In our experience, emails are responded to promptly and they are very good with helping backpackers with travel advice.

I think a guided private tour of the tunnels is the way to go, but just so you know, there is a tourist shuttle bus between Hue and Dong Hoi, which includes a stop at Vinh Moc Tunnels. It's usually around 500,000 dong per person.

Hope this helps. Happy travels!

#2 SoManyMiles has been a member since 7/2/2014. Posts: 130

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by nadirahmed on 23/2/2017 at 01:54

Hi SoManyMiles,

I missed your article when I was doing my research earlier. Good piece!

I will drop Tam's Cafe an email.

Thanks,
Nadir

#3 nadirahmed has been a member since 26/2/2015. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 17
 Send nadirahmed a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.