Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

avoiding taxi scams, how?

Posted by rayjohn on 11/3/2017 at 10:18

Posted from within Vietnam.

today, when I was sitting in a coffee shop, I heard of a lady complaining to her children on Skype that she had to pay 200k VND for 5 minutes in a taxi. I was so surprised then sad. actually, some bad people took advantage of foreigners to raise price. I wish It hadn't happened to her. I'm sorry to her in silence. for foreigner, next time you visit Vietnam, you should use Uber or Grap. they'll supply car, motorbike for you. You know how much you have to pay and don't book if you think it's too expensive.
if you don't have 3G, let's enter any shop or coffee shop, explain your reason and ask waiters wifi password. just some minutes can save much money and annoying, why not?

how about you, have you been in a taxi scams?

#1 rayjohn has been a member since 4/3/2017. Posts: 2

Posted by SoManyMiles on 13/3/2017 at 09:13 TF writer

Thanks for the tip.
The green Mai Linh taxis are the most reliable meter taxi -- I've never experienced a problem with them, though some tourist areas like Hoi An have more expensive rates than anywhere else in the country. Wherever I am in Vietnam, often the locals only trust Mai Linh as well. The hotels, restaurants can call you one and the taxi goes to your location at no charge.

#2 SoManyMiles has been a member since 7/2/2014. Posts: 119

Posted by neharani on 15/3/2017 at 00:15

Thanks for the information..I feel really sorry for that women..but it is not fair..some people always looking for an opportunity to take advantage of the foreigners..

#3 neharani has been a member since 23/2/2017. Posts: 30

Posted by fishtunar on 16/3/2017 at 00:30

Posted from within Vietnam.

Dear All,

I am planning to go to Halong bay from Hanoi by car - as I travel with my kids so I am not able to leave hotel early as said 7.15 am - it is too early for my kids .

Halong cruise offer me to book their private car with price is 120 US$ / 7 seated car / way - Is this reasonable price ?

Can i go with taxi or Uber or grab car as what you suggest above.?

Please give me advise - if anyone have use good car rental company in hanoi - please let me know

Thanks

p/s : my trip on April , 2017

#4 fishtunar has been a member since 4/3/2017. Posts: 7

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.