Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Itinerary for ten days in Vietnam on a shoestring budget

Posted by Agnibesh on 17/3/2017 at 03:56

Hi,

I am from India and am planning to visit Vietnam in February, 2018 for ten days. We will be two people travelling. I was thinking of touching Ha Long Bay, Hue, Saigon and the Me Kong delta, doing most of the internal travel by flight.

What would be a good itinerary?

#1 Agnibesh has been a member since 17/3/2017. Posts: 2

Posted by seatravelgroup on 18/3/2017 at 17:37

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi Agnibesh,

I am from Vietnam and I am quite new to this forum but I am glad that you are planning for your trip to Vietnam in 2018!

I hope some of below information will be helpful for your trip to Vietnam next year.

- It is absolutely possible to travel to Vietnam in 10 days on a shoestring budget.

- 10 days in Vietnam is not long enough but it is quite an ideal trip duration that you are having in mind. Basing on your mentioned destinations, I would highly to recommend adding Hoian to your travel plan so the travel route will be: Hanoi - Halong Bay - Hue - Hoian - Ho Chi Minh City - Mekong Delta.

- The only one detail that I MUST warn you is that Vietnamese Traditional Lunar New Year Festival will be on February (your planned travel period). Traveling to Vietnam during this time might be interesting as you will have opportunity to understand more about Vietnamese traditions during Lunar New Year Festival but the cost for all services will be higher than usual during this time in Vietnam especially the internal flight tickets.

Since you are traveling to Vietnam on a shoestring budget, just check the calendar to see if your travel date to Vietnam will be right at the Lunar New Year Festival or not.

Cheers!

James

#2 seatravelgroup has been a member since 18/3/2017. Posts: 1
 Send seatravelgroup a private message 

Posted by maxlewis on 21/3/2017 at 01:45

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi Agnibesh,
I wholeheartedly agree with James. Those destinations are a must. The only thing I will note is if you can not too cheap for Halong Bay. Tours that are cheap are just awful. It would be better going to Cat Ba then and exploring yourself. That's just my opinion!

#3 maxlewis has been a member since 20/3/2017. Posts: 5

Posted by Agnibesh on 21/3/2017 at 05:00

Hi James,

Thank you so much for the answer.

I will probably leave the country by 10 February, clear of the Lunar New Year celebrations.

Also, could you tell me roughly how much time I should spend at each place, given I am interested in the culture of the place.

Further, will it be cheaper if I opt for trains and busses instead of flights for travel inside the country?

Thanks,

Agnibesh

#4 Agnibesh has been a member since 17/3/2017. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.