Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Thailand vs Vietnam in September/October

Posted by apbryant on 28/3/2017 at 12:22

Hi Everyone! My boyfriend and I plan to travel to Southeast Asia from the US in September or October 2017 for about 10 days. I would LOVE to visit both Vietnam and Thailand, but realize that is not enough time to fully enjoy both.

We are thinking about choosing one or two towns in either country for adventure/sightseeing/history and then traveling to a beach or island for some water activity and relaxation. While I have experience traveling in Southeast Asia and want to see the authentic culture, my boyfriend feels more comfortable with structure. We'll be traveling on a mid-range budget.

Any advice on which country would be better as far as bang for your buck/ease of travel/weather/enough structure for him but enough authenticity for me?

I greatly appreciate your suggestions!!
Paige

#1 apbryant has been a member since 28/3/2017. Posts: 2

Posted by flijten on 29/3/2017 at 00:31

I would probably settle for two cities. In 10 days you don't want to spend days in a bus. If you'd pick Bangkok than you could get a view at a lot of thai Palaces and temples and it is a good cluster of sights. Also, Ayutaya is an easy day trip by train. I would then either fly to Hanoi or Saigon. Saigon offers some options of trips to mekong Delta, but personally I liked Hanoi far more.

If you structure it like this you minimise transport times to flying from one city to another. Day trips or perhaps one overnighter offer you a change of scenery from the big cities so you could add some country side (mek ong delta or somewhere around Hanoi) or history (ayutaya). The bulk of your trip is then used effectively meeting two cultures and their lovely food in the big cities.

#2 flijten has been a member since 19/12/2016. Location: Netherlands. Posts: 59

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by tieuthao on 31/3/2017 at 05:57

Posted from within Vietnam.

I saw many foreign people come to Vietnam only 5 days. you have 2 days in H?i An, ?à N?ng, Hu? to rest. you have 1 days in HN and 2 day in North -West Mountain to see the life of ethnic minorities. I think that enough or the same in Ho Chi Minh city and mekong Delta instead.

#3 tieuthao has been a member since 31/3/2017. Posts: 3

Posted by teresamhudson on 4/4/2017 at 22:34

Personally, I have been fall in love with both Vietnam and Thailand in the firs time visit. If you want to visit amazing beaches and islands, Thailand is the ideal choice for you because you can find paradise beaches in Thailand. But October is beginning of winter season, you should refer to the north of Vietnam such as Hanoi-Sapa-Halong-Ninh Binh. Further, if you watched "Kong-skull island", Vietnam in the film is amazing and stunning

#4 teresamhudson has been a member since 27/3/2017. Posts: 16

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.