Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Vietnam and Siem Reap - 3 weeks itinerary in December

Posted by Salazes on 17/4/2017 at 05:00

Hello all,

We are planning to visit Vietnam from North ( Hanoi ) to South (HCMC) in December, then stay few days in Cambodia to visit Angkor . We are a young couple of 31 years old.

We are interested in : culture, nature, animals, temples, ancient architecture, people, markets, handcraft, food

We are less interested in : war memorials and historical museums, lying on the beach doing nothing, modern cities, nightclubs and drinking

Day 1 Hanoi : Early arrival in Hanoi. Hoan Kiem Lake, Water Puppet Show

Day 2 Hanoi : Old Quarter, House-on-Stilts, One Pillar Pagoda, Quan Thanh Temple, Tran Quoc pagoda, Dong Xuan Market, Bach Ma Temple, Temple of Literature, Sword Lake, Ngoc Son Temple, St Joseph's Cathedral, Ambassador's Pagoda , Hoa Lo Prison Museum

Day 3 Hanoi : One day trip to Halong Bay (we prefer not to stay for the night on the boat)

Day 4 Dong Hoi : Flight from Hanoi to Dong Hoi, Nhat Lhe Beach

Day 5 Phong Nha Village : 3 days motor tour. Motor tour day 1 Dong Hoi To Phong Nha

Day 6 Khe Sanh : Motor tour day 2 Phong Nha to Khe Sanh

Day 7 Hue : Motor tour day 3 Khe Sanh to Hue

Day 8 Hue : Hue Citadel: Imperial City, Dieu De Pagoda, Notre Dame Cathedral, Bao Quoc Pagoda, Tu Dam Pagoda, Dong Ba Market

Day 9 Hue : Royal Tombs - one day trip (6 tombs), most impressive are Tu Duc and Minh Mang

Day 10 Hoi An : Hue to Hoi An with private driver - Marble Mountain on the way. Hoi An Old Quarter (House of Phung Hung, Japanese Covered Bridge, House of Tan Ky

Day 11 Hoi An : Hoi An Arcraft Manufacturing Workshop, House of Quan Thang, Tran Family Chapel, Quan Cong Pagoda, Hainan Chinese Assembley Hall, Central Market

Day 12 Hoi An : Half day trip to My Son. Cua Dai Beach

Day 13 HCMC : Hoi An to Danang (bus) to HCM (flight). Giac Vien Pagoda, Phung Son Pagoda, Binh Tay Market, Nghia An Hoi Quan Pagoda, Thien Hau Pagoda, Quan Am Pagoda

Day 14 HCMC : Jade Emperor Pagoda, Vinh Nghiem Pagoda, Xa Loi Pagoda, Mariamman Hindu Temple, Cholon Walking Tour (District 5)

Day 15 HCMC : Chu Chi Tunnels, Cao Dai Holy See

Day 16 Phnom Penh : HCMC to Phnom Penh by bus or plane. Royal Palace, Silver Pagoda

Day 17 Siem Reap : Phnom Penh to Siem Reap by mini-bus or flight. Psar Chaa and Around, Les Chantiers Écoles, Cambodian Cultural Village, Angkor National Museum (if time)

Day 18 Siem Reap : Angkor Wat 3 day pass (go by car with driver) taking the "great circuit". Central temples of the complex, Ta Prohm, Banteay Kdei, returning to Angkor Wat

Day 19 Siem Reap : Angkor wat (go by car with driver) continue the "great circuit". Outer temples, Preah Neak Pean, Ta Som, Pre Rup

Day 20 Siem Reap : Banteay Srei - 32km of Siem Reap, with Angkor 3 day pass. Roluos Group

Day 21 Siem Reap : Kompong Khleang floating settlement (by taxi), Flooded forest

Day 22 Siem Reap : Tonlé Sap Exhibition, National Center of Khmer Ceramics, Flight to Hanoi in the evening

I would appreciate any feedbacks, opinions, recommendations, etc... on this itinerary

Thanks in advance !

#1 Salazes has been a member since 17/4/2017. Posts: 3

Posted by flijten on 19/4/2017 at 01:17

Looks like a nice and paced itinerary. The only thing I wonder about is why you bother with PP if you're just going to be there a single night. Unless you will be flying, HCMC -> pp will take the better part of a day. PP -> Siem Reap used to have night busses (not sure if still) to give you an idea of the duration of that stretch. If flying why not go to Siem Reap in one go? Not saying PP is not worth time, but a night surrounded by two full travel days doesn't sound rewarding.

#2 flijten has been a member since 19/12/2016. Location: Netherlands. Posts: 54

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by Salazes on 3/9/2017 at 10:32

You totally right. We changed the plan and are staying now 2 days in PP

Day 1 Hanoi : Early arrival in Hanoi. Hoan Kiem Lake, Water Puppet Show

Day 2 Hanoi : Old Quarter on foot, Dong Xuan Market, Bach Ma Temple, Temple of Literature, Hoa Lo Prison Museum, St Joseph's Cathedral, Ngoc Son Temple, then back to old quarter to Hang Ma Street

Day 3 Hanoi : One day trip to Halong Bay (we prefer not to stay for the night on the boat)

Day 4 Dong Hoi : Flight from Hanoi to Dong Hoi, Nhat Lhe Beach

Day 5 Phong Nha Village : 3 days motor tour. Motor tour day 1 Dong Hoi To Phong Nha

Day 6 Khe Sanh : Motor tour day 2 Phong Nha to Khe Sanh

Day 7 Hue : Motor tour day 3 Khe Sanh to Hue. In the evening visit the city: Trang Tien bridge, Parfume River (Song Huong river), Notre Dame Cathedral, Bao Quoc Pagoda, Tu Dam Pagoda

Day 8 Hue : Hue Citadel: Imperial City, Dong Ba Market, Dieu De Pagoda

Day 9 Hue : Royal Tombs - one day trip (6 tombs), most impressive are Tu Duc and Minh Mang

Day 10 Hoi An : Hue to Hoi An with private driver, pick up at 8h30 (Lap An Lagoon, Lango Co beach, over Hai Van Pass and not through the tunnel, Marble Mountain)

Day 11 Hoi An : Hoi An Old Quarter (House of Phung Hung, Japanese Covered Bridge, House of Tan Ky), Quan Cong Pagoda, Hainan Chinese Assembley Hall, Central Market

Day 12 Hoi An : Half day trip to My Son. Cua Dai Beach or city centre

Day 13 HCMC : House of Quan Thang, Tran Family Chapel, Hoi An to Danang by car, then to HCM by plane.

Day 14 HCMC : Jade Emperor Pagoda, Cholon Walking Tour (District 5)

Day 15 HCMC : Tour : Chu Chi Tunnels, Cao Dai Holy See, Kim Phuc Napalm girl village at Trang Ban

Day 16 Phnom Penh : HCMC to Phnom Penh by plane. Killing fields of Choeung Ek

Day 17 Phnom Penh : Royal Palace, Silver Pagoda, National Museum of Cambodia, Wat Phnom, Central Market

Day 18 Siem Reap : Phnom Penh to Siem Reap by plane. Psar Chaa and Around, Les Chantiers Écoles, Cambodian Cultural Village, Angkor National Museum (if time)

Day 19 Siem Reap : Angkor Wat 3 day pass (go by car with driver) taking the "great circuit". Central temples of the complex, Ta Prohm, Banteay Kdei, returning to Angkor Wat

Day 20 Siem Reap : Angkor wat (go by car with driver) continue the "great circuit". Outer temples, Preah Neak Pean, Ta Som, Pre Rup

Day 21 Siem Reap : Banteay Srei - 32km of Siem Reap, with Angkor 3 day pass. Roluos Group - 12km of Siem Reap, with Angkor 3 day pass

Day 22 Siem Reap : Cambodian Cultural Village (it is further) or National Center of Khmer Ceramics. Flight to Hanoi in the evening

#3 Salazes has been a member since 17/4/2017. Posts: 3

Posted by Salazes on 16/9/2017 at 03:01

Have anyone of you try both those websites to get a visa online ?
- Vietnam : https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/en_US/web/guest/trang-chu-ttdt
- Cambodia : https://www.evisa.gov.kh/

Are they reliable ? I would like to avoid the queue if we take the visa on arrival.

#4 Salazes has been a member since 17/4/2017. Posts: 3

Posted by MarkSeaton on 18/9/2017 at 19:50

I got my visas for both Cambodia and Vietnam last Dec no problem at all

I'm pretty sure I used that visa link for Cambodia and for Vietnam I used the local embassy here in Australia as you have to send your passport away and they put it in your passport. Cambodia send you an e visa you print out and glue in yourself

Either way, make sure you don't use a 'service', Its far to easy to do with all the confusing websites and they don't do anything that you can't do.

#5 MarkSeaton has been a member since 15/8/2017. Posts: 13
 Send MarkSeaton a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.