Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Group of 4 travels to Hanoi - Halong - Sapa

Posted by authskitopjaynaway on 9/8/2017 at 21:54

We (4 people) want to visit Halong and have a trek in Sapa from Hanoi . So I have some questions for this trip.

1. We will arrive at Noi Bai airport at 10 p.m. I wonder whether I rent a hotel near the airport or take a taxi to the city center (Old Quarter). Do you know any hotels near Noi Bai airport with fair prices (around $50-60). It's safe to take a taxi at this time?

2. Any suggestions about the transportation from Hanoi to Halong and Sapa?

3. Any experiences for the Sapa trekking? Is it worth doing homestay?

Do you have any other suggestions about the itinerary? I'm open to all.

Thanks in advance.

#1 authskitopjaynaway has been a member since 4/8/2017. Posts: 1

Posted by shahfieldd on 11/8/2017 at 02:58

For the hotels near Noi Bai airport, you can see the prices on Tripadvisor. In fact, there are quite a few good hotels with your expected prices.
From Hanoi to Sapa , you can take a train or a bus. But traveling by train is still safer. To save time, you should take a night train. The train leaves Hanoi train station at 10 p.m and comes to Lao Cai at 6 a.m of the next day. Lao Cai is about 35 km from Sapa. Almost all the hotels in Sapa can send you a shuttle bus to pick you or the staff of the hotel will help you to call a shuttle bus. In case you take a tour to Sapa, for example, Sapa Trekking Homestay, you will be picked up by the tour guide. With the total length of the road of 35 kilometers, it will take you about 45 minutes to move from Lao Cai to Sapa.
After visiting villages and destinations in Sapa, you have to come back Hanoi, then catch a bus or a train to Halong. If you want to be taken by train, you can choose the train at 5 a.m at Yen Vien train station and after 7 hours of moving, you will reach Halong. Besides, you can take a bus of Ka Long, Kim Lien or Duc Phuc to go to Halong. The price ranges from 100,000 VND to 250,000 VND.

#2 shahfieldd has been a member since 30/9/2016. Posts: 17

Posted by thaorosellazulab on 17/8/2017 at 02:43

From Hanoi to Halong, you can take a mini bus from Gia Lam (Hanoi) to Bai Chay (Halong). The ticket price is 120,000 VND ($6USD). The bus stops along the way to pick up passengers, so it'll take you 5 hours to reach Halong. You should start the journey from Hanoi in early morning so that you'll have much time to enjoy Halong in the afternoon and evening. In particular, you note that the last ferry to Cat Ba is at 3:00 p.m.

#3 thaorosellazulab has been a member since 19/7/2017. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.