Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Need suggestions about our trip to Saigon - Mekong Delta

Posted by Maryhass on 21/9/2017 at 22:01

My family including a kid of 8 is preparing for the trip to Saigon in December. We intend to spend 4-5 days in Saigon, then move to and stay in Mekong Delta for one week. This is second time I have visited Vietnam and want to be involved in a lot of activities and explore many destinations. Very excited about floating markets and villages. How'll be Mekong Delta in December? After google search, I find that some areas in Mekong Delta have great flood. Does the flood obstruct our trip? Any suggestions about things to do? Thanks.

#1 Maryhass has been a member since 9/4/2017. Posts: 2

Posted by Want2BHappy on 22/9/2017 at 15:53

December is generally lovely weather in the Delta and you'ld be unlucky to have major flooding.

But weather these days is getting a little bitty Old Testament, so who knows.

I'd say go for it and then make alternative plans if it turns out that there is a problem. You don't need to book ahead anyway...

Background reading: http://www.marecentre.nl/people_and_the_sea_5/documents/TranThiTrieu.pdf

#2 Want2BHappy has been a member since 23/2/2013. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 77
 Send Want2BHappy a private message   Where has Want2BHappy been? 

Posted by somtam2000 on 22/9/2017 at 17:06 admin

Yeah I wouldn't be too concerned about the weather - December should be great.

There was a story recently about how the floating markets are shrinking in size as the Delta modernises and shifts to land-based markets and supermarkets. You can read the piece here.

Aside from the floating markets, around Vinh Long, there are some popular homestays—more here.

Cheers

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,863
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by shahfieldd on 22/9/2017 at 22:12

One week in Mekong Delta is enough for you to explore a lot. December is in flood season in Mekong Delta but the flood here is not regarded as a natural disaster. Moreover, the locals catch a host of sea products that are processed into many unique dishes. You can try the food in floating markets. In reality, floating markets and villages are the most impressive ones in provinces of Mekong Delta. There are some famous floating markets here such as Cai Be, Cai Rang and Long Xuyen. But I like Cai Rang the most because types of goods here are more diverse than other markets. For accommodations, it is suggested to do homestay provided by Mekong Delta Tours. The homestays often have cottage roofs and wood floor so the air is so cool. The surrounding area has many trees.

#4 shahfieldd has been a member since 30/9/2016. Posts: 19

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.