Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Looking to travel to Vietnam in February.

Posted by BuzzmFrog84 on 21/12/2017 at 16:10

Hi everyone.

As I said, February looks like the month that will be best for me to travel. I'm looking to spend about a month abroad.

In 2015 I spent a month in Thailand but I don't have much other experience with Southeast Asia. How is the month of February when it comes to Vietnam? I should have $3000 usd to spend but if I could spend less, I wouldn't be against that.

All I've heard is that Vietnam is beautiful so I don't even know where to start! Could someone help me plan a route? I heard there are a lot of fantastic natural wonders to see, that's something I don't want to miss. Initially I wanted to see Hang Son Doong but I don't have the money for that!

I'm just looking for some help on how to start planning.

Thanks!

#1 BuzzmFrog84 has been a member since 1/12/2014. Location: United States. Posts: 97
 Send BuzzmFrog84 a private message 

Posted by Want2BHappy on 22/12/2017 at 03:57

Well, I'd start here: https://www.travelfish.org/travel-planning/15-tips-for-holiday-in-asia

Also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%E1%BA%BFt might interfere with your travel plans a little,

#2 Want2BHappy has been a member since 23/2/2013. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 79
 Send Want2BHappy a private message   Where has Want2BHappy been? 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by BuzzmFrog84 on 22/12/2017 at 12:53

Thanks for the links.

Do you think I should avoid the trip because of T?t?

#3 BuzzmFrog84 has been a member since 1/12/2014. Location: United States. Posts: 97
 Send BuzzmFrog84 a private message 

Posted by flijten on 24/12/2017 at 02:35

It might be an interesting time to be there actually, but travelling around presumably will be harder due to a lot of Vietnamese being on the go themselves and/or transport being less readily available. But you can time it so you'll be somewhere that is nice to stay put a few days.

#4 flijten has been a member since 19/12/2016. Location: Netherlands. Posts: 59

Posted by daawgon on 25/12/2017 at 15:09

Posted from within Vietnam.

March is much better!

#5 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,147
 Send daawgon a private message 

Posted by SoManyMiles on 1/1/2018 at 16:34 TF writer

I wouldn't avoid travelling to Vietnam just because of Tet but have the right expectations and you must come up with a plan. It'd be the ideal time to be bunkered in one spot - avoid all bus, train and air travel - book/reserve the hotel and activity in advance and just have the expectation that it will be busy with Vietnamese on holiday and not everything (like activities, tours) will be available.

Here's Tet tips on Travelfish: https://www.travelfish.org/beginners_detail/vietnam/127

But if your dates are flexible, then yes, do start your trip after Tet.

#6 SoManyMiles has been a member since 7/2/2014. Posts: 124

Posted by shaneaseymour on 3/1/2018 at 11:45

Hi all. We are planning two weeks in Vietnam but will be departing on the first day of Tet this year. Given our travel will be primarily before Tet begins, do you think we will still be impacted by the holiday (crowds, travel, etc)?

#7 shaneaseymour has been a member since 10/1/2017. Location: Earth. Posts: 2
 Send shaneaseymour a private message   Facebook  

Posted by SoManyMiles on 4/1/2018 at 09:13 TF writer

Hi shaneaseymour,
Yes, you will be impacted as the country begins to shut down/mass migrate in the weeks leading up to Tet, during Tet and in the week after Tet. This article is helpful in describing what to expect:
https://www.travelfish.org/beginners_detail/vietnam/127

#8 SoManyMiles has been a member since 7/2/2014. Posts: 124

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.