Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

5 weeks in Vietnam with a 4 year old

Posted by Ramalhoto on 22/12/2017 at 06:03

Hello to all
We will be heading to Vietnam from mid-January, and we will stay there for 5 weeks before heading to Cambodia, actually we have a 90 days visa in Vietname, so if we want we can stay longer in Vietname.
When we arrive we will stay 10 days in Hanoi. Then we are thinking of heading south. We are 2 adults and a 4-year-old child, so we want to take a slow pace. We are finding different places where we can stay for longer and make day trips to places nearby. One of the places we were thinking is Da Nang. Could you please advise us on the best cities we could stop for a while and that we can explore places nearby? while heading south vietname?
This Vietname stay is part of a 4 month travel to: Vietname, Cambodja, Laos and Thailand, we were thinking around 1 month per country,whatdo you think is the best with a 4 year old? to saty longer in Vietname rather than Cambodia and Laos?
Thanks a lot
Merry Xmas!
Hugo

#1 Ramalhoto has been a member since 22/12/2017. Posts: 5

Posted by flijten on 24/12/2017 at 02:50

First of all, I think it is totally awesome that you'll do this with your 4yo!

It is hard to estimate what your kid will like best but I'd probably not go to Laos for a month. I loved it don't get me wrong, but it was loads of nature, walking and driving around on motorbikes. All things that I expect you can' do for days on end without boring your 4yo to tears. I'd go, definitely, but maybe a little shorter.

Vietnam has loads of locations to stay put for a couple of days and do daytrips, etc. Basically I'd say have a look at the itineraries this site offers or just scroll trough all destinations to read more. I loved Hanoi, motorbiking trough the central part and staying in the mekong delta for a few days instead of daytripping it. But that's just the favourites.

Thailand is a no-brainer for a month. It is big, has the tourist infrastructure, you'll find stuff to do :)

Personally I've only been in Cambodia for about two weeks, not really able to say if that's worth a month with a kid. Although I do imagine any combination of parents and young kids would enjoy a week on the islands Cambodia offers. Have a look at Koh Rong or Koh Chang (the latter is not in Cambodia, but close to it in Thailand).

#2 flijten has been a member since 19/12/2016. Location: Netherlands. Posts: 59

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by SoManyMiles on 1/1/2018 at 16:28 TF writer

Hi Ramalhoto,
I also responded to your post in the Laos forum. January, February would be best for Laos weather wise, though perhaps you already have your Vietnam visa for a certain time period.

5 weeks in Vietnam gives you a lot of time to take a slow pace. Mid-January in Da Nang , expect cold, wet weather. Da Nang can be good for a few days of exploration, though one of the city's selling points is the beach and it won't be the season for it. Hoi An, just 30 minutes away, is the area's main draw and it is quite kid friendly. https://www.travelfish.org/sight_profile/vietnam/central_vietnam/quang_nam/hoi_an/2015

Check out Phong Nha for the caves, some doable for kids. If you want beaches and water activities in January, you'll have to head much further south: Nha Trang, Mui Ne, Phu Quoc. Ho Chi Minh City and the Mekong Delta would also be worth exploring. Hope this helps.

#3 SoManyMiles has been a member since 7/2/2014. Posts: 124

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.