Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Mekong delta recommendations

Posted by Triblim on 16/3/2018 at 23:21

Hi there

We're on Phu Quoc and not enjoying it (it's noisy and crowded) but don't fly out from Saigon until 29th March.

So considering making our way to Saigon via the Mekong delta and hoping for some ideas on the best way to do this. We want to avoid busy places as much as possible; we need some peace and quiet, or as much as that's possible in Vietnam!

Thank you
Karen and Kev

#1 Triblim has been a member since 18/2/2018. Posts: 5
 Send Triblim a private message 

Posted by Want2BHappy on 17/3/2018 at 17:38

I'll bite since nobody else has.

The Delta is really easy to get around -plenty of buses from one place to the next. I'm usually cycling when down there and the towns are near perfectly spaced.

Tra Vinh is one of my favourite places to chill out. There's not a lot there, but the whole area is very Khmery and has a laid back feel. You can head on down to Soc Trang and Bac Lieu easily enough. Can Tho for the floating markets.

Just google pictures of ", Vietnam" and pick places you like.

I like Phu Quoc, but only for a three days or so at the end of my trip. Any more would be a torture.

#2 Want2BHappy has been a member since 23/2/2013. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 83
 Send Want2BHappy a private message   Where has Want2BHappy been? 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by Triblim on 17/3/2018 at 23:01

Thank you, want2bhappy!
Very much appreciated :-)

#3 Triblim has been a member since 18/2/2018. Posts: 5
 Send Triblim a private message 

Posted by SoManyMiles on 19/3/2018 at 22:30 TF writer

If you want peace and quiet, go to Con Dao islands. And good news for budget travellers, they've just started a Superdong fast ferry from Soc Trang (Mekong Delta) to Con Dao.

#4 SoManyMiles has been a member since 7/2/2014. Posts: 145

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.