Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

e-visa to Vietnam

Posted by madambovary1975 on 20/8/2018 at 22:53

Hi,
I would like to ask if someone has used the e-visa to Vietnam and if you had any issues or still had to queue at the airport.
I contacted the embassy in London and they told me that they are not affiliated to any online portal for visa and the only official place to apply for visa in the embassy.
Many thanks

#1 madambovary1975 has been a member since 15/5/2016. Posts: 6

Posted by somtam2000 on 21/8/2018 at 01:57 admin

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi,

I got an eVisa a couple of weeks ago with the mob I always use and had no problems at all. Took about 30 minutes in the queues at HCMC, but I could see it being a lot worse if there were more flights in at the time I arrived.

I'd certainly use them again.

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,968
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by daawgon on 22/8/2018 at 02:27

Posted from within Vietnam.

"I contacted the embassy in London and they told me that they are not affiliated to any online portal for visa and the only official place to apply for visa in the embassy."

It's well known that VN embassies give the wrong information about visas - unfortunately civil servants here make very little money and will do most anything to increase their takehome pay. Corruption is the way of life here and this is just one way to help themselves (crazy as it sounds). Go to Tripadvisor if you do not believe what I write.

I use the VOA system, but I understand the E-visa works quite well.

Vietnam is different in so many ways!

#3 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,155
 Send daawgon a private message 

Posted by Want2BHappy on 23/8/2018 at 10:12

There are several ways of getting visas to Vietnam.

E-Visa, direct from Vietnamese Immigration: https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/web/guest/trang-chu-ttdt is the best choice, if 1) your nationality allows it and 2) 30 days max, single entry is sufficient for your needs and 3) you will enter and leave by any of the authorized entry/exit points. Note the .gov.vn website. You deal direct with the Vietnamese government.

Only $25 total and no extra queuing/processing on arrival. Has been in places since Feb 2017 and works extremely well.

What @somtam2000 described is a pre-approved aka 'VOA' letter:

Works well, but only at the major international airports and there is an extra queue/process and fee to pay on arrival. All the agents are commercial operators, unaffiliated with the Vietnamese government. They set their own service fee, but there's really no need to pay over the odds. I used to use http://vietnamvisapro.net/ who are very reliable and only charge $6 for a 1 month visa (as opposed to the $21 or $26) on some other sites.

Restricted to (first or only) arrival by air, but more flexible in terms of length / number of entries, but you run the risk of hitting a 1 or more hour queue at the 'landing visa' window on arrival if you're unlucky.

The third way is to go via the embassy/consulate. Most expensive, but, works at any border crossing.

I would ignore embassy warnings about online agents. They are just protecting their lunch. They even warn about sites which advertise on the VNAT (Vietnamese National Administration of Tourism) http://www.vietnamtourism.gov.vn/english/ website.

#4 Want2BHappy has been a member since 23/2/2013. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 83
 Send Want2BHappy a private message   Where has Want2BHappy been? 

Posted by madambovary1975 on 23/8/2018 at 14:21

Thank you so much guys, it has been very useful information.

#5 madambovary1975 has been a member since 15/5/2016. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.