Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Typhoon and Hanoi/ Halong Bay Cruises

Posted by gee22chin11 on 14/9/2018 at 21:31

Hello,

Anyone have any updated info on the current situation with the typhoon heading towards Vietnam’s Halong Bay and Hanoi? When are conditions expected to improve?

Our hotels refuse to cancel our reservation and the boat operator say business as usual. However the news say otherwise. We are traveling with a baby and are being extra careful.

Thanks.

#1 gee22chin11 has been a member since 23/11/2016. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 15/9/2018 at 06:58 admin

I'm in Hue at the moment and I know Travelfish member rjhintz is on a boat right now in ha Long Bay as he sent a pic earlier today. So at least today, the boats are running and the weather didn't look too bad. It could be a different story in a couple of days though.

I've dropped rjhintz a line, to ask him to chime in.

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,996
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by rjhintz on 15/9/2018 at 07:13

Tour operator is cancelling 2nd night of our two night Ha Long Bay cruise. We're completing the first night tonight.

Apparently government is requiring all souls to be on shore by 10am, 16 September. Agoda auto refunded 50% of our booking.

It's calm and clear as I write this on the upper deck, but no way would I stick around for typhoon fun. No one knows when normal operations will resume.

Didn't have to involve travel insurance in this case, but…

Also, fun fact, no infant sized personal sighted

#3 rjhintz has been a member since 16/4/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 6
 Send rjhintz a private message   Twitter 

Posted by rjhintz on 15/9/2018 at 07:20

Guide just announced no operations for anyone 16-18 September

#4 rjhintz has been a member since 16/4/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 6

Posted by rjhintz on 15/9/2018 at 18:04

Tried to say earlier that no infant sized personal flotation devices were sighted, though they may exist.

Current conditions, scattered clouds, wind gusting 7-10 knots or so. Sea state 1. No way to know storm is inbound.

#5 rjhintz has been a member since 16/4/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.