Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Hoi An for a week or so?

Posted by 2travelhappy on 1/10/2018 at 14:46

Hi there, We are planning a 62 night trip of SE Asia. We have 25 nights remaining for Vietnam from Feb 16th to March 12 2019. Our intention is to visit the country from the Meykong Delta to Cat Ba Island and fly from Hanoi to Hong Kong before heading home to Vancouver. Would appreciate any help and suggestions with our itinerary you can offer. We will enter Vietnam from Cambodia via boat transfer from Phnom Penn.

4 nights Meykong Delta area
3 nights Ho Chi Minh City

We would like to stay for 7 to 10 days in one city that will allow us to complete day trips/tours or even an over nighter somewhere with less luggage. We thought Hoi An might be a good choice as it sounds like an interesting city that offers lots to do and see. We travel for food and enjoy cooking classes, walking, hiking, and different cultures. This will be towards the end of February, is Hoi An a good spot? Welcome any suggestions.

Thanks so much

#1 2travelhappy has been a member since 27/7/2018. Posts: 1

Posted by flijten on 1/10/2018 at 15:18

This sites co-owner, somtam2000 just did a good week in Hue and around which totally took me back to Vietnam. This means updated info on food, stuff tondo and sleeping and he'll probably be more than willing to give you itinerary advise voor Hue and around! Personally I'd say Hue would last you longer than Hoi An.

#2 flijten has been a member since 19/12/2016. Location: Netherlands. Posts: 70

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by somtam2000 on 3/10/2018 at 20:48 admin

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply on this. Yes, as flijten says I am just back from Vietnam (glad you enjoyed the pics!)

Some thoughts:

I spent ten days in and about four hours in Hoi An proper (though I did spend two nights out on An Bang beach, a beach area near Hoi An). Both are excellent, but extremely different destinations.

Hoi An is heavily touristed and people often stay there for days through to a week. Most visitors goes Hue only two days and it would be fair to say me staying there ten days is highly unusual—though I was there primarily to work (updating the coverage for Travelfish, which is what I am currently writing).

I think if you have a serious interest in real Vietnamese food, a stay in Hue is warranted—the food is just amazing. I found my limited experience with Viet food in Hoi An/An Bang to be very tempered to tourist taste, though if you're hankering for western food, then by all accounts Hoi An delivers.

Sight wise, Hue’s primary attractions are the tombs and the Imperial City. Most tend to cram these into a single day, but, if you have the time, spreading them over two days is more sensible and comfortable (plus it allows you to eat more). I also did a day trip out to Thuan An beach, which was excellent.

Hoi An's attractions are the town itself, which is a bit too Disneylandesque for my tastes, plus there are boat trips, trips to MySon (ruins), just hanging out on the beach and much much more.

I travelled in one direction between the two by train—it is a stunning trip as the train wraps along the coast, while in the reverse I did it by motorbike (with a driver) and we stopped at a bunch of spots along the way. This was one of the real highlights of my trip and I'd absolutely recommend it.

So... with seven to ten days, you could easily spend four days in Hue and the balance in Hoi An. Both can serve as bases to explore the surrounds. I can give you contacts for a food guide if you'd like for Hue.

My writeup will be on the site in a couple of weeks, so once that is up should (hopefully!) be helpful as well.

If you'd like to see a few pics, you can see my Instagram feed here (you'll nee to jump a few pics back as I'm back in Bali now :)

https://www.instagram.com/travelfishery/

More questions, let me know!

Cheers

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,972
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by miech333 on 10/10/2018 at 11:52

Hoi An , Da Nang and Hue are all close enough and with 7-10 days you could experience them all. We were planning to stay 3 days in Hoi An, but ended up staying for 5. It is touristy albeit, but it was a nice place to lay low and put your feet in the sand. We rented a scooter and took it into Da Nang a few times and then drove out to some ruins( I am blanking on which ones). There's marble mountain to see. And the famous pass from Da Nang to Hue is not to be missed. Hoi An has cooking classes and most hotels have pools, which was a nice change from most of the places we stayed in vietnam. Loved Hoi An, and I usually hate touristy places, but it was my cup of tea. Easily found epic food in non touristy areas.

#4 miech333 has been a member since 4/10/2018. Posts: 2

Posted by stoowie on 16/10/2018 at 08:26

we spent 4 nights in Hoi An three years ago anf LOVED IT!. In March 2019 we are going back for a month in Vietnam and will be spending a week in Hoi An. The berst food and you can make clothing for a fraction of a dollar in one day!

#5 stoowie has been a member since 4/12/2016. Location: United States. Posts: 5
 Send stoowie a private message   Twitter   Facebook  

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.