Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

2 weeks in Vietnam and Thailand from US

Posted by wfhrjw on 23/1/2019 at 16:38

We are planning to travel to Vietnam and Thailand for 2 weeks likely in September. We are trying to determine North or South as well as whether to book excursions individually with vendors or try to find a good 5-7 day tour package. We have never been in Asia. We also would love any ideas about how to effectively integrate the best of both countries. Likely some beach time in Thailand will be necessary. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

#1 wfhrjw has been a member since 23/1/2019. Posts: 2

Experience the Andaman Sea
Experience the Andaman Sea
Ad Spend 3 days / 2 nights on The Junk
From US$400.

liveaboard.com

Read more

Posted by evergreen_e on 29/1/2019 at 06:38

In Vietnam, you can go for Saigon/Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi if you crave the city life. If you want to chill out, I would suggest that you head to Hoi An , where things are more laid-back. There's also An Bang beach nearby. There a website that has a lot of detailed guides featured. They list practically everything you may want to try out in Hoi An. You can start with this one: "Activities and Tours in and Around Hoi An Old Town."

#2 evergreen_e has been a member since 29/5/2015. Posts: 6

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by SoManyMiles on 30/1/2019 at 12:19 TF writer

Hi wfhrj,
Two weeks isn't a lot of time so if you are determined to see two countries, for Vietnam I would suggest you visit max 2 locations that are close to each other. For example, 1 week for Hanoi and Halong Bay; or Ho Chi Minh City and Mekong Delta; Hoi An and Hue. You could find a 5-7 day Vietnam tour but what tends to happen is these tours may seem attractive/good value in covering multiple destinations, it can end up being a blur of early wake up, being shuttled from place to place, eating at tour restaurants. A higher end international tour company may offer something more tailored, though it is more expensive and essentially they take the tour they've designed and outsource the operations to a local company.

If you do decide on a tour, try one with not such an intense itinerary that covers the entire country. Alternatively, and what I would favour, there's a lot of smaller companies on the ground offering activities (back of motorbike tours, cooking classes), art tours, market tours, etc that you can easily book yourself, there's a lot of information here on Travelfish.

Flight connections Vietnam-Thailand would most likely be from Bangkok. Again, for 1 week in Thailand would suggest no more than 2 locations so Bangkok + your beach. September is a bit of a tricky time weather wise for Thai beaches. September is best for Samui/Pha Ngan or K Tao but not great. Stay away from Andaman coast. Hope this helps

#3 SoManyMiles has been a member since 7/2/2014. Posts: 147

Posted by wfhrjw on 6/2/2019 at 16:24

Given the weather concerns, is September overall not a good time to travel to Vietnam/Thailand? Given the distance from the US, we don't want to have rain for much of the trip.

#5 wfhrjw has been a member since 23/1/2019. Posts: 2

Posted by flijten on 7/2/2019 at 08:25

It depends on what you aim for I guess. It is not rain in the sense that it is pouring down all day long. It is more likely to be anywhere between 3 to 5 sudden downpours of 15 minutes each. I was in north vietnam end of august, early september and it was certainly no issue. You could almost set a watch for certain moments during the day that a shower was to be expected, but all very manageable. What I would take into account is that it is NOT beachy weather. It will be warm enough, sure, but not very sunny and blue.

#6 flijten has been a member since 19/12/2016. Location: Netherlands. Posts: 78

Posted by larsay on 4/6/2019 at 09:36

The lost beautiful part of Vietnam being the North, spend 1 week up there (nice weather in Septmber)

2 full days Hanoi
2 days-1 night junk Halong Bay cruise
3 Days SAPA
Then fly direct Hanoi-Bangkok (numerous flights every day)/. I like Koh Samui

DO NOT go to the Center (Hue and Hoi An) in September, typhoons and floods season

#7 larsay has been a member since 20/7/2014. Posts: 55

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.