Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Sapa or Ha Giang

Posted by gatoguts on 9/5/2019 at 00:41

I have enough time to visit Sapa or Ha Giang, but probably not both. Can anyone who has been to both areas advise on which they would recommend and why?

#1 gatoguts has been a member since 23/7/2012. Posts: 28

Skip the queues!
Skip the queues!
Ad Book plane, train, bus & ferry tickets
with 12Go Asia.

12go.asia

Read more

Posted by Want2BHappy on 10/5/2019 at 09:07

How long do you have?

What's your daily budget?

#2 Want2BHappy has been a member since 23/2/2013. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 84
 Send Want2BHappy a private message   Where has Want2BHappy been? 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by gatoguts on 10/5/2019 at 22:51

I have about a week. I've been to Vietnam before, so I don't think cost should be an issue in either place

#3 gatoguts has been a member since 23/7/2012. Posts: 28

Posted by aroomwithaview on 19/5/2019 at 10:34

When you say Ha Giang, do you just mean Ha Giang itself or the loop up to Meo Vac? A week might be pushing it considering travel times to Ha Giang and the loop itself and geting back to Hanoi. I guess it's doable baring in mind you need to sort out a permit for that area, which is more time.

The scenery around Sapa is nice, but the town itself in a major tourist trap with overdevelopment everywhere. The scenery and culture north of Ha Giang is x10 as good as the Sapa area.

#4 aroomwithaview has been a member since 31/3/2015. Posts: 7

Posted by larsay on 4/6/2019 at 09:28

Ha Giang is phenomenal, the most stunning region of entire Vietnam. I have been there 7 times already. You need a minimum of

Day 1 Hanoi -Ha Giang
Day 2 HG-Quang Ba-Dong Van
Day 3 : Around DV (Po Lu French Fort, Lung Cu for its Belvedere over China and its Black Lolo village, and Sa Phin for its curious H'mong King Castle.
Day 4 : DV-the fabulous Ma Pi Leng Pass-Meo Vac-Ha Giang on the southern road
Day) : HG-Hanoi

If you want one more day, then it is one day trekking around Dong Van

You can do Hnaoi-Ha Giang-Hanoi by night bus (the road is boring) + HG-DV by minibus, but then you are stuck up there unless you rent a moto-taxi or taxi to visit around (+ you will have to retrun to HG on the same road). The best is a car with driver ; I can arrange that with one of the 2 drivers who drive me all around the North since 10 years; they speak good English, so, no need of a guide. And don't worry, at 76 years of age and with a diploma from one of the best business schools in the world (HEC Paris), I do not work fro a travel aganecy, I just enjoy a well-deserved retirement in Hanoi since 2007

#5 larsay has been a member since 20/7/2014. Posts: 55

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.