Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Small towns & villages around HCMH to explore?

Posted by sharontreloar on 14/8/2019 at 10:35

Hello, we’re staying in HCMH in early October, and I already know I’m gonna need to get out of town for a day... I was thinking of hopping on a train and finding a small town to explore, somewhere untouristy. Just a real town or village with a market and temple. Nothing flash. Old and rustic is good. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks.

#1 sharontreloar has been a member since 24/4/2019. Posts: 4

Skip the queues!
Skip the queues!
Ad Book plane, train, bus & ferry tickets
with 12Go Asia.

12go.asia

Read more

Posted by amnicoll on 14/8/2019 at 11:36

very easy to do apart from perhaps by train

If I were you I would have a look at a map and pick a nearby place at random in the delta area and head there by bus. One place that springs to mind might be Tay Ninh (NW from HCMC)which has a nice temple

#2 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 952
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by somtam2000 on 14/8/2019 at 22:47 admin

Agree re Tay Ninh — a cute spot with a few things to do (no train though). Another option would e the Delta, My Tho for example is just a few hours away, and has a coupla temples, plus the delta (so oat trips and that kinda thing.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,021
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by larsay on 27/8/2019 at 08:29

Which train ? None except the Saigon-Hanoi. Normally, visitors spend two days minimum, not only one, visiting the wonderful mekong delta. In 2 days, I recommend :

Day 1 : Saigon-Cai be -visit of the ancient hoauises of the Distrcit of Dong Hoa Hiep and succulent lunch in the most beautiful, Mrs. Kiet's + ferry Cai Be-heh Binh + moto-taxi to teh small village of An Binh (stay at the delightful Phoung Ngoc Homestay)

Day 2 : Bicycle and boat ride or just walk in the island, return to Cai Be and Saigon

3 days better. End of 2nd day, ferry An Binh Vinh Long + bus VL-Can Tho ; Day 3 Cai Rang floating market and back to Saigon

In one day, do the excursion My Tho/Ben Tre OR Saigon-Tay Ninh for the amazing Cao Dai temùple + Cu Chi tunnels

Any Saigon agency arranges all that

#4 larsay has been a member since 20/7/2014. Posts: 55

Posted by sharontreloar on 1/9/2019 at 11:44

Thanks folks. Tay Ninh sounds ideal

#5 sharontreloar has been a member since 24/4/2019. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.