Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Hanoi vs. East Coast of Taiwan

Posted by fennellj on 12/10/2019 at 15:42

This will be only our second time in Southeast Asia. We have somewhat limited time and are traveling this December. We are definitely going to Tainan in Taiwan, (flying there from Hong Kong where we are spending a few days).

Our eventual destination is Laos, but while in Tainan, we have to make a choice of whether to stay in Taiwan and go to the East Coast, or fly back to Taipai, then to Hanoi . Our big question is whether it would be better spend 3-4 days in Hanoi and skip the east coast (again this is Dec.) It appears we have to go through Hanoi to get to Laos anyway and it seems a crime to skip Hanoi since we have to go through the airport.

Any help appreciated.

#1 fennellj has been a member since 23/10/2018. Posts: 16

Heading to Thailand?
Heading to Thailand?
Ad Search for cheap flights to Thailand
on Skyscanner.

skyscanner.com

Read more

Posted by gecktrek on 12/10/2019 at 22:46

hey, both places are excellent to visit, i think the weather is better in hanoi at that time of year...

#2 gecktrek has been a member since 24/3/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 166
 Send gecktrek a private message   Where has gecktrek been?   Website   Flickr  

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by fennellj on 14/10/2019 at 14:30

Thanks much. Taking all things into consideration (place, weather, options, etc) , should this be your decision, would you choose Hanoi? J

#3 fennellj has been a member since 23/10/2018. Posts: 16

Posted by gecktrek on 14/10/2019 at 20:19

hey, if your asking would i travel to hanoi, i would say yes, but my reasons are probably very different; i'm already planning a north vietnam trip, and i haven't visited hanoi in 24 years...

#4 gecktrek has been a member since 24/3/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 166
 Send gecktrek a private message   Where has gecktrek been?   Website   Flickr  

Posted by aroomwithaview on 17/10/2019 at 09:37

If you've hardly got any time, I'd spend it in Hanoi even though it's kind of cold, wet and dreary in December. Why not check out the clean and interesting city of Taipei and do 2-3 days trips from there?

You'll be shocked at how much Hanoi has changed; not for the better in some ways.

#5 aroomwithaview has been a member since 31/3/2015. Posts: 7

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.