Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Help for rookies! Hanoi vs Saigon in Dec

Posted by fennellj on 8/11/2019 at 16:59

Hi and help: We'll have a week in Vietnam from Dec. 16-22/23. We are in a quandary whether to visit Hanoi and Halong Bay, or go to Saigon, spend a few days in the city and then try to tour either an island or the Mekong Delta area. Based on advice here, we're told to not to attempt both north and south, and based on a previous trip to Cambodia, we agree. Weather can be dicy in the north, we read, but better south, so that's a factor. Question is: Hanoi or Saigon? If we do Saigon, can anyone offer thoughts on an itinerary? Same with Hanoi/Halong? Since we are leaving in a month, we would so appreciate any help. Many thanks.

#1 fennellj has been a member since 23/10/2018. Posts: 16

Heading to Thailand?
Heading to Thailand?
Ad Search for cheap flights to Thailand
on Skyscanner.

skyscanner.com

Read more

Posted by Megaworldasia365 on 12/11/2019 at 04:29

The scenery and sightseeing options in the north are much better than the south. Late December in the North will be getting cold. No doubt about that. December in Saigon definitely the better weather but less sightseeing options: Cu Chi Tunnels, Mekong Delta trip, Monkey Island, and Vung Tau are the pick of what's available. For me, if I only had a week I'd give both places a miss and go to Da Nang/Hoi An instead. Far more to see and do there than in Saigon. Safe travels.

#2 Megaworldasia365 has been a member since 26/8/2017. Posts: 25

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by antoniamitchell on 13/11/2019 at 07:26

As the other poster has said, you'll get hotter and drier weather in the south, so the main question I would ask is what type of activities are you planning?

If you were hoping to swim at Halong Bay, that's not the best time of year (i visited in winter and while the weather was dry and fine for kayaking and sailing some days, it was too cold for swimming, and drizzly other days).

I personally like the Hanoi more than Saigon, but horses for courses, and what sort of vacation you're after will be the critical deciding factor, i suspect.

Enjoy, whichever you decide.

#3 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 559
 Send antoniamitchell a private message   Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.