Text page

Vietnam

Vietnam forum

Vietnam in October Rainy Season / 13 Day Itinerary

Posted by Bellie on 30/5/2022 at 09:39

Hi, time to get out and about again, so we are planning 2 weeks in Vietnam in October! So my first question is, how bad really is the monsoon season?  Do we need to be concerned and is there anywhere we seriously need to avoid as a result? 

My second question is, we have 13 days so we were planning on heading straight north to Hanoi (fly) on arrival to HCM, using Hanoi as a base for a few days to day trip from, then the train to Hue, and doing the same, then maybe flying to HCM to spend the last few days and day trips from there, rather than hopping from city to city.  Thoughts?   And any recommendations on great day trips?

My husband would love to train it all the way from Hue to HCM - is it worth the time, and does it get affected by the rainy season? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

#1 Bellie has been a member since 1/1/2018. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 1/6/2022 at 02:04 admin

Hi Bellie, 

A couple of questions/thoughts:

1) Where are you considering as day trips from Hanoi?

2) If you were to train it all the way down, I’d recommend breaking the journey at Hue, Da Nang (for Hoi An) and Nha Trang. The trip between Hua and Da Nang is the most beautiful in the country, so well worth seeing. However... to my next point

3) October will have you hitting the central and south-central coast in monsoon season, and it can get extremely wet/flooded. See this old post related to Hoi An for some information. Not all years are as bad as one another, and some years it is fine, but when it is bad, it can get very very very bad. 

This is why I was asking about your day trips thoughts out of Hanoi, as it may be a better idea to restrict yourself to there, or, as you originally suggested, going no further south than Hue by train. 

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,097

Posted by aroomwithaview on 4/6/2022 at 10:27

I was contemplating a visit in October, too.

I lived in Hanoi for two years and I can safely say the north can easily eat up 2 weeks: Mai Chau/ Sapa/ Ha Giang area/ Ninh Binh/ Hanoi city/ Halong Bay for starters.......I'd say just do the north or south and keep the other for when you have more time. 

#3 aroomwithaview has been a member since 31/3/2015. Posts: 13

Posted by Bellie on 4/6/2022 at 11:41

Thank you somtam2000 and aroomwithaview for your replies, greatly appreciated.

Great points, we are considering starting with a couple of days in Hai Phong doing Ha Long Bay from there then training to Hanoi, day trips being considered include to Ninh Bin, Duong Lam, Bat Trang Village… before heading to Hue or maybe DaNang to make sure we get that part of the train in on our way back to HCM for only a couple of days before heading home.

Thanks again for your help.

#4 Bellie has been a member since 1/1/2018. Posts: 2

Posted by tuandinh111 on 22/9/2022 at 06:57

Hi Bellie,

As somtam2000's counsel, you should spend more times in Da Nang, Nha Trang,..and then go to Southern of Vietnam. You can stay in HCM City for several days, going to Vung Tau to enjoy seafood. After that, you can go to Mekong Delta which has a lot of river, freshwater fish, Cai rang floating market,.. 

I stay in HCMC, so if you need any help or information about service pls let me know.

Hope you have a happy trip in next October!

#5 tuandinh111 has been a member since 22/9/2022. Posts: 1

Please login to add your reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a post to the forum. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.