Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

weather!!- how bad up north?

Posted by fishtails04 on 11/2/2008 at 17:47

Posted from within Vietnam.

ok, maybe i planned badly but i really didn't expect things to be so cold and wet in vietnam at this time of year! all the locals tell me it's not normal, it's the coldest spring in 50 years etc etc...
i had a week of gorgeous sunshine in the centralhighlands and then hit hoi an and greya skies, chilly winds and drizzle... god, it's like being back in ireland!
i had to break my vow not to go near the tailors' shops in hoi an as i was frozen and needed a fleece made. and i'm heading north...which means it's going to get worse...
so, my question bad is it up north? i am headed from hue to ninh binh and then on to hanoi, haloing bay, saopa (god help me...) and round the northwest to the dien bien phu border crossing with laos. i fear i will die of the cold, i've got so used to blue skies and heat. so, if you're up north, please let me know how bad it is so i can get some warmer stuff it required. especially for the northwest -0 is it going to be so misty and drizzly that all the views are swallowed up? if so, i may cut that bit short, so it would a be a help to know...
thanks a million for any input

#1 fishtails04 has been a member since 2/1/2008. Posts: 33

Posted by CatBa on 11/2/2008 at 18:04

Posted from within Vietnam.

HaNoians are complaining about the 'cold' winter - it was 16C the other day.

Make sure you have plenty of blankets as many hotels have little or no heating.

BE AWARE OF FUME EMITTING SPACE HEATERS - MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A WINDOW OPEN! Better to freeze 'stiff' rather than becoming a 'stiff'.

Avoid HaNoi Blue Sky, Eden Hotel hotels - check this web sites hotel reports to avoid the worst. Riding a cab, use Mei Linh (formerly VN Taxi, DeLuxe) and read the meter aloud as you travel so you can spot a 'fast' meter.

#2 CatBa has been a member since 5/3/2007. Posts: 349

Posted by Ashe88 on 11/3/2008 at 18:18

Okay so I was in Hanoi at the beginning of Feb and it was consistently about 8-10 degrees C. It dropped off even further just as we left. Basically I was wearing 7 layers on my top half (warm fitting cottons etc) with the 2 outers being thick jackets and Halong Bay was almost unbearable!!

#3 Ashe88 has been a member since 19/11/2007. Posts: 24

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.