Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Beijing - Hanoi train

Posted by eirie on 24/2/2008 at 06:09

Hi travellers!

Can anybody give me information on the train from Beijing to Hanoi? I know that there is a twice weekly connection, I'd just like to find out if it is an interesting journey (landscape-wise or otherwise) and worth doing it.

Thanx!

#1 eirie has been a member since 15/2/2008. Posts: 3

Posted by daawgon on 24/2/2008 at 06:50

go to seat61.com

click on Vietnam

#2 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,113

Posted by CatBa on 25/2/2008 at 02:12

Posted from within Vietnam.

The best routing to increase your choice of trains AND reduce costs (fares outside a countries border i.e. the VietNam part are calculated is Swiss Francs which means a double currency conversion)is to go BeiJing to NanNing, GuangXi and then catch a bus across the border.

Details have been posted twice earlier but if you drop me an e-mail at and I'll send you a copy.

If you do take the train you sure get to see the 'landscape' at PingXiang Station as customs / immigration procedures can take a couple of hours followed by a slow 4 hour run to Ha Noi on narrow gauge rails.

#3 CatBa has been a member since 5/3/2007. Posts: 349

Posted by CatBa on 25/2/2008 at 02:14

Posted from within Vietnam.

The best routing to increase your choice of trains AND reduce costs (fares outside a countries border i.e. the VietNam part are calculated is Swiss Francs which means a double currency conversion)is to go BeiJing to NanNing, GuangXi and then catch a bus across the border.

Details have been posted twice earlier but if you drop me an e-mail at and I'll send you a copy.

If you do take the train you sure get to see the 'landscape' at PingXiang Station as customs / immigration procedures can take a couple of hours followed by a slow 4 hour run to Ha Noi on narrow gauge rails.

#4 CatBa has been a member since 5/3/2007. Posts: 349

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.