Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Is there anywhere that will exchange Dong outside of Vietnam?

Posted by celianz on 25/2/2008 at 14:30

Yes, missed the boat (and apparently the exchange booth at Hanoi Airport) and we are now stuck with lots of Dong...stupid I know. Is there any country that will exchange it? I know Thailand won't...We are heading into Laos soon and I wondered if perhaps the banks there do? Otherwise my only hope is finding some other travellers who are heading in that way from Laos and who will change. If there is somewhere out there that you know of we would appreciate it!!!!

#1 celianz has been a member since 15/12/2007. Posts: 16

Posted by CatBa on 26/2/2008 at 10:07

Posted from within Vietnam.

The Dong is not officially available for exchange outside VietNam, at least for a couple of more years. At that time they will go onto the international exchange market.

You might, however, have luck in Laos. Try travel agents who arrange Vietnamese trips or maybe even a bank.

#2 CatBa has been a member since 5/3/2007. Posts: 349

Posted by celianz on 7/3/2008 at 12:40

Good news for anyone as silly as me - we have managed to change Dong in Laos, at one of the banks in Luang Prabang. The rate was roughly half; so 1000 Dong got you about 530 kip.

#3 celianz has been a member since 15/12/2007. Posts: 16

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.