Hey everyone. I;m planning a trip in Vietnam. Starting in Hanoi and making our way down to HCMC.
The one segment i'm not sure on is the Hoi-An to Dalat part. I'm not sure how best to get there (train/bus etc.) and whether or not we should break it with an overnight stop somewhere as its a long journey. If we would need to break it where would you recommend?
#1 kierjan has been a member since 14/4/2008. Posts: 11
Opentour bus to Da Nang (30 minutes) ; overnight rail to Nha Trang (book the journey in Hoi An two days before you intend to leave).
In Nha Trang grab a Mei Linh (058-590-606) OpenTour bus to Da Lat (3 hours)!
Trains come in 4-up soft sleeper; 6-up hard sleeper with air-con; 6-up hard sleeper without air-con; soft-seat and hard seat. Sleeper is recommended for the 12 hour journey.
Suggested accommodation in Da Lat
151 & 164 B Phan Dinh Phung
Da Lat, Lam Dong
other suggested hotels in this web site, too.
#2 CatBa has been a member since 5/3/2007. Posts: 349
Thanks so much for that. My mind is boggled from trying to work out the other post/journey in reverse but wow! so helpful. Thank You.
#4 kierjan has been a member since 14/4/2008. Posts: 11
VietNam north to south is easy
(1) Arrive in Ha Noi, book your Ha Long Bay cruise;
(2) Now knowing your return date from HLB, book an overnight train to Sa Pa BEFORE leaving for Ha Long (get rail tickets ONLY from the station at 120 La Duan unless you feel like fattening up a Ha Noi travel agent);
(3) Visiting Ha Noi can be squeezed between side trips and when you head south;
(4) You have to make your rail reservation for an overnight sleeper to Hue (12 hours);
(5) Hue takes 1.5 days to visit - use CITY TOUR (company name - on Pham Ngu Lao Street) for viewing the city;
(6) Catch a midday bus to Hoi An - Mai Linh and Sinh are safest (both have offices near the intersection of Nguyen Tri Phuong & Hung Vuong);
(7) Hoi An is worth two or three days - book an overnight rail trip here to Nha Trang 2 days ahead of desired travel. Rail journey is 12 hours;
(8) Nha Trang is worth a day or two - Mai Linh and Sinh buses run either INLAND to Da Lat (3 or 5 hours depending on new highway or old hill route) or down the coast to Mui Ne (6 hours);
(9) Da Lat or Mui Ne are 6 or 7 hours respectively from HCMC.
Remember all bus travel requires 24 hour pre-booking.
#5 CatBa has been a member since 5/3/2007. Posts: 349