Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Halong Bay

Posted by Spacey on 30/4/2008 at 11:47

I know there's lots of messages about Halong Bay but I'm after some up todate info. I arrive in Hanoi next week and want to take a Halong Bay trip, I was looking at Santa Maria but they seem a bit pricey for a two night trip, any recommendations who to book through or the junks to try for?

#1 Spacey has been a member since 29/4/2008. Posts: 3

Posted by katieq2 on 28/5/2008 at 02:38

I haven't really heard a good story of people who stayed on the junks. I stayed on Cat Ba Island overnight when I went, but ut wasn't a great experience either. A day-trip seems to be the best idea.

#2 katieq2 has been a member since 27/5/2008. Posts: 8

Posted by seahmj on 29/5/2008 at 19:43

I was wondering How many days needed for visiting Ha Long Bay... i heard of the great scenic surroundings... but as i am in a budget. Trying to get a good yet cheap visit. For a real experience in viewing the surroundings, is it necessary for a 2 day 1 night trip (1 night on boat or Cat Ba Island)? Will a day trip sufficient to capture and feel the surrounding?

#3 seahmj has been a member since 18/5/2008. Posts: 14

Posted by paradissatravel on 7/6/2008 at 16:34

Posted from within Vietnam.

If you are budget travellers, you can always book your trip through an "open" travel agent in the old quarter. They offer poor services but real low price. Best for Halong trip in my own opinion would be 2day/1night.

#4 paradissatravel has been a member since 7/6/2008. Posts: 14
 Website 

Posted by Taaa on 16/6/2008 at 12:39

Hi,

I just about go there too but i'll there in first week of july. And i want to do a 2 days 1 night, i'd been read about it so many people said Ocean Tour. Do you have any suggestion, Paradissatravel?

#5 Taaa has been a member since 16/6/2008. Posts: 5

Posted by seahmj on 17/6/2008 at 22:32

Hey Taaa,

I be travelling to there on the first week of july too... i be arriving Hanoi on the 6th july... Intend to travel to Halong on the 8th July...

So what date you be arriving?

#6 seahmj has been a member since 18/5/2008. Posts: 14

Posted by Taaa on 18/6/2008 at 10:05

Hi seahmj,

My boyfriend and I, We'll arrive on 7th July in the afternoon but we haven't decided where we want to go first. And we have a limite time aswell.

Thank you for your reply.

#7 Taaa has been a member since 16/6/2008. Posts: 5

Posted by seahmj on 18/6/2008 at 22:04

hmm... thats cool... 1 day after me.... perhaps you mind wanna meet me up in Hanoi on the 7th. I will be planning to walk around hanoi and meet up with some locals there... perhaps you can join this community at www.couchsurfing.com

There you will meet many local CSers that will provide you with many many informations....

However, that does not mean that Travelfish isn't good... it is just another means of getting more informations... i believe 1 more piece of good tips is never enough right?

#8 seahmj has been a member since 18/5/2008. Posts: 14

Posted by Taaa on 19/6/2008 at 14:21

Right we can meet up i don't mind but we still haven't decided where to stay so maybe i can let you know later. And for halong bay trip it might be nice if stay for 2 nights 3 days that what we can think of now. We don't want to rush ourselves.

#9 Taaa has been a member since 16/6/2008. Posts: 5

Posted by Taaa on 22/6/2008 at 12:17

Hi Seahmi,

I'd booked the hotel called TungTrang Hotel so if you want to meet meet up. We'll arrive on July, 7th about 2 pm.

#10 Taaa has been a member since 16/6/2008. Posts: 5

Posted by seahmj on 22/6/2008 at 17:19

hmm Tung Trang Hotel... Will consider moving over to stay with you guys so atleast can go traveling together... Will arrange again on the 6th July. I will email you on the 6th evening. Please provide me with your email. Thanks!!

#11 seahmj has been a member since 18/5/2008. Posts: 14

Posted by andrea73 on 25/6/2008 at 18:44

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi there!

We just left Ha Noi for Hoi An.

In Ha Noi ưe stayed in the second floor balcony room at the Tung Trang Hotel (based on Travelfish reviews) for 8 days, and it ưas a great deal ($20 USD). Big, spotless room, tv (though few english channels), fridge, good bathroom, and the staff ưere great - not pushy at all, just quiet and friendly. Being in an alley, it ưas mostly quiet, and you see quite a bit of Ha Noi life happening as you walk to and from the hotel.

For Ha Long Bay, we went with Ocean Tours. A tad bit more expensive, but BRILLIANT organization. I have a separate post about them, but just wanted to throw them some more biz if possible, they wêre fantastic.

Have a wonderful time in crazy Ha Noi!!

*A

#12 andrea73 has been a member since 8/5/2008. Posts: 12

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.