Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

crossing the border from Hanoi into China to Kunming.

Posted by harajuku4me_pls on 6/5/2008 at 04:36

hi guys.

i was wondering whats involved in travelling from Hanoi to Kunming in China. i plan to secure a Chinese visa before i leave for Asia, but is it a big deal to cross the border into China? do buses or trains follow a route i could use? is it expensive, is it safe?

#1 harajuku4me_pls has been a member since 22/4/2008. Posts: 6

Posted by somtam2000 on 6/5/2008 at 08:37 admin

The Lao Cai crossing is the most common used for Kunming. Trains run from Hanoi all the way to the border. It's safe and not particularly expensive.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,652
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by CatBa on 6/5/2008 at 10:09

Posted from within Vietnam.

If you are spending a few days in Ha Noi it is most likely cheaper to get a visa in Na Noi,

China notes:

(1) You can get RMB / Yuan just across the bridge at an ATM;

(2) ALWAYS retain ATM receipts in case you want to convert surplus RMB / Yuan back into real world money;

(3) The bus station is to your left as you cross over the bridge;

(4) The bus to KunMing takes 12 hours - sleepers available;

(5) Even though the Chinese seem friendlier in the West keep an eye out for pick pockets at busy travel places such as stations;

(6) If you sleep, put shoes, etc. into a plastic bag and then sleep with your bag - to avoid theft;

(7) You can buy thin stainless steel wire, well secured to your baggage with you on the other end helps stop theft. They know about slashing backpacks - BUY A PAC - SAFE (

(8) Much fewer people speak English in China compared to VietNam, so have your hotel write simple messages on a piece of paper for you to show at stations, etc.

#3 CatBa has been a member since 5/3/2007. Posts: 349

Posted by CatBa on 6/5/2008 at 10:16

Posted from within Vietnam.

I forgot one thing.

Make sure your travel guide DOES NOT SHOW TAIWAN as a SEPARATE COUNTRY - otherwise the CN border guards will snaffle it. Tear out any map showing TaiWan in a different colour.

Better still, hide it somewhere so the border goons don't confiscate it.

#4 CatBa has been a member since 5/3/2007. Posts: 349

Posted by harajuku4me_pls on 9/5/2008 at 01:37

wow - thanks a mil for all the advice guys. really appreciate it.

also cheers for the china tips. haha - i've been to china before and know all about avoiding the "three T's" when talking to ppl. made it all the more funny/weird when a local working in a guilin hostel asked me straight up "so what do u think of the taiwan situation?"

#5 harajuku4me_pls has been a member since 22/4/2008. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.