Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Hanoi to Sapa to Luang Prabang overland?

Posted by DLuek on 19/6/2008 at 05:18 TF writer

Has anyone travelled this route through the mountains of northern Vietnam and Laos? Is it possible? We'll most likely be there around August '09. Could rain be a (big) issue? Would it be more sensible to go Hanoi to Sapa and back then fly from Hanoi to Luang Prabang for around $200 on Vietnam Air?

Peace,

David

#1 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,176
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by thegingerbird on 19/6/2008 at 16:41

Posted from within Vietnam.

hi im actually in sapa at the moment and am heading into laos from here. You can get a bus to dien bien phu which takes a day and then a bus goes 4 times a week from dien bien phu, to the border at tay trang and then onto muang khua, from there you can get a bus to udomxai and then connect to another one to get you to luang prabang. All the connecting buses from dien bien phu to luang prabang when added together should take about a day. I'll be doing this route in a few days time and will post it in trip reports.

TGB

#2 thegingerbird has been a member since 30/4/2008. Posts: 23

Posted by Kris123 on 20/11/2008 at 00:56

Hi Ginger,
I am planning exactly the same trip from Sapa to LP. Could you pls share your experience? Actual time taken from Sapa to DBP and further to LP. Did you take local buses or any special bus? How often (or where can i check this) do buses leave from DBP to muang khua? Did you get the buses easily? Any tips, do's and don'ts are much appreciated.

Cheers!

#3 Kris123 has been a member since 20/11/2008. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.