Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

really need vaccinations????

Posted by hippydiza on 22/6/2008 at 18:10

Hi,am doing the 3 week south to north trip leaving end of July including a few days in Sapa and really would rather not have vaccinations but would like to hear the opinions of others who have done it before me please....hippydiza

#1 hippydiza has been a member since 22/6/2008. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 22/6/2008 at 20:16 admin

You'll find a recent discussion on vaccinations over on the Health Branch here

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,652
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by CatBa2 on 13/7/2008 at 18:10

Posted from within Vietnam.

Travellers on the tourist route rarely need injections.

I've been here 16 years and only take precautions against dengue as I reside in the Central Highlands.

You can catch Malaria and Dengue within HCMC (they are presently fumigating streets nightly at this time).

However, be prepared. Forget your DEET and buy SOFRELLA in VN - a nice smelling repellent made in Japan. Bring a roll of Duct tape to seal up mosquito nets (usually supplied in hotels in affected areas - in the long box at the head of beds).

Keep your feet and socks clean and wear long sleeved shirts / long pants at dawn and dusk - the favourite hunting time for the M an D carrying mosquitoes.

But as I said you have few worries when doing the Ha Noi >> HCMC route and Sa Pa is in a temperate zone (think mid-Europe).

#3 CatBa2 has been a member since 6/11/2007. Posts: 53

Posted by hippydiza on 13/7/2008 at 18:35

Thankyou for replies and info CatBa2....very handy and much appreciated :-)

#4 hippydiza has been a member since 22/6/2008. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.