Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

5 WEEKS VIETNAM & MAYBE BKK, KO SAMET OR PHU QUOK?? NEED HELP

Posted by paulascott on 24/6/2008 at 10:35

Hi,
Looking for advice & suggestions. Had 4 brilliant weeks with family backpacking Thailand last March and the trip was so memorable due to all the suggestions & advice of this forum - so thanks all.
Now I'm planning 5 weeks with 2 kids in tow again, this time flying in July 09 into HCMC. Like the sounds of Phu Quoc, Nha Trang, Hoi An, Halong Bay, Sapa & Hoi An. But also include the Mekong Delta, but not on a tour as such (so advice needed here). Does anyone have any suggestions for an itinerary/route that is budget efficient also (flying from Aussie). Willing to fly a few internal routes if they are cheap enough for the family of 4. We are probably "budget to flashpackers" I have been researching all the forums, but getting more & more confused!!- Need guidance!. Open to a little overland to Cambodia also, but don't want the trip to be too rushed.
So can anyone out there help with this???? Many thanks!

#1 paulascott has been a member since 22/9/2006. Posts: 20

Posted by somtam2000 on 25/6/2008 at 07:15 admin

Welcome back!

There's loads of possibilities -- here's one to get you started.

Saigon - Vinh Long 2 nights, homestay on the river
Vinh Long - Can Tho 1-2 nights, floating markets
Can Tho - Rach Gia 1 night then ferry to Phu Quoc
Phu Quoc Island 5 nights then ferry back to mainland
Rach Gia - Kep stay 2 nights(overland into Cambodia -- read this story backwards to see how to do it)
Kep - Kampot 2 nights
Kampot - Phnom Penh 3 nights
Phnom Penh - Saigon.

So that's the first loop done in 2.5-3 weeks.

With the remainder, I'd say train to Nha Trang and on again to Hoi An (you need to alight at Da Nang but it's straightforward to get to Hoi An from there)

After Hoi An, back to Da Nang and fly to Hanoi and use that as a base for Sapa and Ha Long Bay -- you could cover all that in two weeks.

Hope that helps!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,568
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by paulascott on 25/6/2008 at 08:01

Thanks so much Somtam, I'll look into your suggestions, sounds quite good, not too rushed you think??

#3 paulascott has been a member since 22/9/2006. Posts: 20

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.