Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Bus Travel?

Posted by DrTomPhD on 10/7/2008 at 09:55

Hi all. I'll be making my asia debut this summer and I had a few questions about bus travel. I'll start out in Bangkok and will travel through cambodia to Hanoi and Fansipan. Here are my questions:

1. What is the fastest way to take the bus/train from bangkok to hanoi (and back)?

2. How much will this cost (1 way/round trip)?

3. How long does it take?

Thanks in advance, guys!

#1 DrTomPhD has been a member since 10/7/2008. Posts: 3

Posted by somtam2000 on 10/7/2008 at 10:10 admin

Hi Dr Tom,

Overland from Bangkok to Hanoi is a long trip -- figure on the trip taking two to three days.

However, there's a bunch of different overland routes between the two cities, and would really need more info on what you had planned. If you don't know what you have planned, then the suggested itinerary section is probably a good place to start as it plots out some travel times etc.

If you're priority is speed, and you don't plan to stop along the way, then look into AirAsia's flights from Bangkok to Hanoi -- they can go for as little as US$40 one way.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by DrTomPhD on 11/7/2008 at 00:44

Wow thanks! How is AirAsia so cheap? How much do taxes generally add?

#3 DrTomPhD has been a member since 10/7/2008. Posts: 3

Posted by CatBa2 on 13/7/2008 at 13:51

Posted from within Vietnam.

Forget the land route unless you in the pauper financial class!

AirAsia is definetly the only way to go. Besides, you might win a prize on the in-flight draws that occasionally include free flights.

REMEMBER: Get your VN visa BEFORE deporting for Ha Noi AND ON ARRIVAL in Ha Noi *DO NOT TELL ANYONE INVOLVED IN LAND TRANSPORT" where you are staying - just say you are meeting friends at Hoan Kiem Lake.

The VIETNAM AIRLINES SHUTTLE runs every 20 or 30 minutes and leaves you at Hoan Kiem lake for USD$2 - but don't tell them where you are staying either!

#4 CatBa2 has been a member since 6/11/2007. Posts: 53

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.