Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Traveling overland from Vietnam to Luang Prabang, Laos

Posted by WisconsinProf on 27/8/2008 at 20:45

I am considering (while bringing a group of univ. students in Jan 09) getting from Vietnam to Laos by going overland (other option is to return to Hanoi for a flight).

Apparently it will look like this -- Mai Chau, transfer to Son La, transfer to Dien Bien Phu, cross the border into Laos, transfer to Nong Khiaw, then full day boattrip to get to Luang Prabang.

Sounds adventurous (which I like) and there can be many village stops along the way....but is the time traveling (several hours a day) worth it??? Will the roads be okay in mid-January?

Anyone's advice is very welcomed. I have been to Vietnam both in Jan 07 and 08 so I am aware of general travel conditions in Vietnam, etc...

If I do it, I'll be happy to report back!

#1 WisconsinProf has been a member since 27/8/2008. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 28/8/2008 at 16:45 admin

You'll be looking at more than a few hours a day travel time for that trip -- take a look at post #15 in the visa and border crossing FAQ -- it's a good report of the trip involved.

Reporting back is always encouraged -- and appreciated!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,564
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Kris123 on 20/11/2008 at 00:48

Did you manage to get through from Vietnam side? I am planning a similar trip in a month's time, any tips on bus schedules from Dien Bien Phu, hours to reach LP, price, road/bus conditions etc are most welcome.
thanks in advance!
Kris

#3 Kris123 has been a member since 20/11/2008. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.