Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Travel from Hoi An to Siem Reap

Posted by Patrickx8 on 28/8/2008 at 12:00

What is the easiest way to get from Hoi An to Siem Reap during January?

I am assuming there is a place to cross into Laos and then into Cambodia?

What do you suggest?

#1 Patrickx8 has been a member since 28/8/2008. Posts: 26

Posted by somtam2000 on 28/8/2008 at 16:41 admin

Easiest way overland will be via Saigon -- will def. be faster than going via Laos. Can also fly -- Da Nang to Saigon and then to Siem Reap -- depends on your budget and how much time you have up your sleeve.

See the Visa and border crossing FAQ for info on individual border crossings.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,706
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by tf_geckozy on 2/9/2008 at 17:41

How about this amazing & fantastic overland route as below? (if you have enough time to do)

●Hoi An →Da Nang→Ngoc Hoi →(Bo Y border) →Attapeu→ Pakse →Si Phan Don(4000 islands)→(Lao/Cambodian border・visa on arrival)→stung Treng→Phnom Penh→Siem Reap●

*Hoi An→Attapeu or Pakse in Laos----within 1 day by bus possible.

*Da Nang→Ngoc Hoi (in Central Highlands of Vietnam)---about 4 hours by express bus.

*Ngoc Hoi→Attapeu--- only 3 hours except the time of formalities of both sides at Bo Y border.

*attapeu→ Pakse ---about 4 hours by bus.

* Pakse →Si Phan don----3~3.5 hours by bus(including boat riding to island)

*Si Phan Don(4000 islands)→Stung Treng---Half day trip including borded crossing(VOA avalable into Cambodia), tours are arranged by several tour companies(tour desks) in Pakse or Si Phan Don.

* Pakse →Stung Treng--- also within half day tour possible.

*Stung Treng→Phnom Penh---8~9 hours by bus

*Phnom Penh→Siem Reap---5 hours by bus or speed boat

--------------------------

If you are interested in this route and need more informations in details about Bo Y boder crossing,transports and acommodation at Ngoc Hoi,I'll post more.

#3 tf_geckozy has been a member since 2/9/2008. Posts: 82

Posted by arenal on 24/11/2011 at 08:41

Hi, tf_geckozy. Could you post more details of the itinerary? where do you recommed to stay overnight? is it really a nice trip? Thanks!

#4 arenal has been a member since 2/2/2008. Posts: 12

Posted by Phiddy on 5/12/2011 at 10:56

I'm also interested in doing a similar thing... going through Laos before going through Vietnam (Hoi an southwards) before going through Cambodia and back to Thailand (where I am starting). Just posting on here to bookmark it for later :)

#5 Phiddy has been a member since 1/12/2011. Posts: 64
 Send Phiddy a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.