Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

HCMC - Hanoi overland

Posted by frankyday on 30/9/2008 at 11:17

Folks,

I am new to here and glad to have such an informative forum with all the useful information.

My trip in Vietnam should be around mid Dec. And preliminary Itin as follow, see whether how you guys think:-

Day0 - arriving HCMC evening time
Day1-3 - HCMC and surrondings
Day4-5 - Dalat
Day6-7 - Nha Trang (night train to Hoi An)
Day8-9 - Hoi An (night train to Hanoi)
Day10 - Hanoi (I will miss Halong Bay anyway as I am not really keen on boating etc)
Day11 - Go home.

Personally I find the above workable but just not sure whether logistically it's doable or not. Also, I am wondering to take night train or open tour bus for the overnight trip (I have seen quite a few replies here citing that train is better than bus).

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks a million!
Franky

#1 frankyday has been a member since 30/9/2008. Posts: 9

Posted by somtam2000 on 1/10/2008 at 04:51 admin

Hi Franky,

You're covering a lot of miles in a short period of time, but it's certainly doable. My only real suggestion would be to shave a day of Saigon and spend it in Hanoi -- even without going to Ha Long Bay there's still a lot to see and do there.

My vote is absolutely for the train over the bus.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by frankyday on 2/10/2008 at 10:27

Really thanks for your reply on that.

I also heard that the view of some route of the train is really fantastic. Is it the Hue - Danang part?

Thanks again
Franky

#3 frankyday has been a member since 30/9/2008. Posts: 9

Posted by chrispyrolls on 2/10/2008 at 20:18

check out www.seat61.co.uk - lots of train info on there

#4 chrispyrolls has been a member since 2/11/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 198
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by frankyday on 3/10/2008 at 08:19

Thanks for that, #4.

Have been that webiste before and it's really a fastantic website regarding train info for the world.

I just fear that there's a bit "bias" regarding the comment on the train in Vietnam over there as the webmaster is obviously a train lover. But from what I saw here re. the Vietnam train comment, it seems taking the overnight train is a better option than the open tour bus.

Franky

#5 frankyday has been a member since 30/9/2008. Posts: 9

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.