Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Is it that wet in Vietnam?

Posted by KPTham1 on 3/11/2008 at 23:50

I just read that part of Hanoi is under 1 meter of water due to heavy rain . Apparently the worst in 10 years! It will be appreciated if someone in Hanoi can confirm this. Btw, is Danang and HCM City similarly affected.
Last year was also bad for Hue and Hoian during Dec, I think.

#1 KPTham1 has been a member since 26/9/2006. Posts: 52

Posted by chrispyrolls on 4/11/2008 at 01:40

check this link and see...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7703672.stm

#2 chrispyrolls has been a member since 2/11/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 198
 Send chrispyrolls a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by somtam2000 on 4/11/2008 at 07:25 admin

Flooding (so far) is restricted to north central Vietnam (so north of the old DMZ) and Hanoi & surrounds.

It's apparently very very very very wet in Hanoi .

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by KPTham1 on 7/11/2008 at 04:25

Chrispyroll and somtam2000,

Thank you.
I will be in HCM/Hanoi/Sapa mid-Dec and I think the weather should be better then. I am not sure whether I should book my air tickets ( jetstar pacific ) for HCM/ Hue and Danang/Hanoi now or wait a bit longer. What do you think ?
Will appreciate your advise. Last year was wet, wet , wet also in Hue and Hoian in Dec>

Thanks.

#4 KPTham1 has been a member since 26/9/2006. Posts: 52

Posted by chrispyrolls on 7/11/2008 at 16:15

I was in Hue & Hoi An last November and it was pretty wet (not sure what Dec was like tho) - the fact it was wet did not matter ... just bought an umbrella and headed off into the streets ... it was still a great place to be

#5 chrispyrolls has been a member since 2/11/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 198
 Send chrispyrolls a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by namaste970 on 8/11/2008 at 13:08

Posted from within Vietnam.

I left Hanoi last Wednesday, but prior to that it was very wet. There were periods in the day with no rain, but a few days with severe flooding. Due to the flooding there were no taxis (and traffic wasn't going anywhere anyway) so I walked (slogged) through thigh deep water for 4.5 miles from the Ethnology Museum to the Old Quarter. Halong Bay was clear despite the weather in Hanoi . No issues in the Old Quarter with floods or electricity. Not sure how it is this week.
Yesterday was gorgeous in Hue, but today it's been raining on and off. Quick downpours.
Hope that helps.

#6 namaste970 has been a member since 18/12/2005. Posts: 8

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.