Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Pham Ngu Lao...?

Posted by neetiparekh on 8/12/2008 at 16:19

Has anyone stayed in Pham Ngu Lao? I hear its similar to Khao San road in Bangkok but I never stay on Khao San road because I think it's really skeezy (no offense). Can anyone tell me if it is comparable? Thanks!

#1 neetiparekh has been a member since 22/10/2008. Posts: 1

Posted by sayadian on 8/12/2008 at 22:37

I agree with you Khao San road is a sleezy place although there are some great guesthouses nearby. No, rest easy Pham Ngu Lao is nothing like Ks Road. It's basically just an area of one or two streets with lots of guesthouses, cheap hotels and eateries.The worst part is the hustlers who will stick to you like glue if you show just the slightest interest in anything they are touting.Now I know the meaning of persistance!

#2 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557
 Send sayadian a private message 

Posted by daawgon on 13/12/2008 at 12:06

The Pham is the "only" place to stay in Saigon - the action goes 24/7 - I love it. For the most for your money and the nicest people try the Bich Duyen Hotel - doesn't get much better than the Bich!

#3 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,133
 Send daawgon a private message 

Posted by annalaura on 31/12/2008 at 07:01

Posted from within Vietnam.

we stayed in pham ngu lao for 4 nights - hated it. yes its cheap, but we found it very scummy. our best time there was when we went to dong kai, lovely streets but more expensive. if you go to a street about two blocks away from pham ngu lao called Co Bac, there are a couple of cheaper guesthouses and its away from all the tuk tuks and motos etc.

#4 annalaura has been a member since 16/10/2008. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.