Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Diving/Snorkeling in Nha Trang or Hoi An in Jan.?

Posted by dnovsky on 17/12/2008 at 08:35

Is anyone familiar with diving in Vietnam in either Nha Trang or Hoi An in early January?

Originally I was going to go to Nha Trang Mun Island; but now I'm thinking of extending my stay in Hoi An and checking out the Cham Island instead.

I'm not into the party scene. I'll be disappointed if I go to Nha Trang and the diving isn't excellent.

I'm also not sure if Hoi An is warm enough or clear enough for diving (or snorkeling) in Jan.

Any suggestions?

#1 dnovsky has been a member since 17/12/2008. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 17/12/2008 at 14:50 admin

I'm not a diver, but have dropped a mate who is a line -- will report back when I get some more info -- I have heard (informally) that the diving off Cham Island (ie near Hoi An) is quiet ok.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,652
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by somtam2000 on 17/12/2008 at 15:08 admin

Ok, I heard back from my diving oracle (Chris at Southeast Asia dive site, DiveHappy) and he had the following advice:

"I've dived Nha Trang, not Hoi An -- Cham Island might be better as there's not so many fishing boats, but neither of these places come up as "must see" dive spots"

So they're you go -- hope that helps!

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,652
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by burkey on 14/6/2010 at 00:26

mmm...ok where are the "must see snorkeling spots...if you don't mind me asking, we are planning on being in s e asia area almost 3 months...have yet to confirm a port of entry, but leaning toward hanoi via cathay pacific, but could start our vacation almost anywhere and could tailor it to a must see snorkeling list if you have one...and if you do i'll buy the 1st round...

#4 burkey has been a member since 4/6/2010. Posts: 4

Posted by KazAussie on 14/6/2010 at 05:34

I don't think Hoi An is an option in January. All the dive shops close at that time of year. About the only dive spot is off phu quoc, we were there last December, wouldn't go out of my way to dive off there again, over-fished oceans lead to not much life and the coral although okay is not great.

#5 KazAussie has been a member since 18/7/2009. Posts: 221

Posted by Pablot on 14/6/2010 at 17:57

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hoi An is normally still in the grips of monsoon season in January - so stike this destination off your list! Snorkeling is good in summer off Cu Lao Cham (Cham Islands) but it is not really a good dive destination (no wrecks, etc.). In general VN is not great for snorkeling or diving in large part because it is fished out and nothing is being done to protect what little remains! try somewhere else in SE Asia as you have 3 months....

#6 Pablot has been a member since 4/5/2009. Posts: 102

Posted by abc on 21/6/2010 at 16:50

I don't dive but they say Nha Trang has the best diving in Vietnam,it's very cheap.Jan should be ok as the rainy season will have passed.

#7 abc has been a member since 21/6/2010. Posts: 24
 Send abc a private message   Website 

Posted by DivingVietNam on 29/3/2011 at 17:24

Well there are some Good replys and Yes the raining season is Here during January so the days Conditions Might Be Hit or Miss but Snorkeling is almost Always Good in Nha Trang and we do Both Snorkeling and Scuba Diving Year Round Here just sometimes Alittle wetter than others so visit and Contact Me for Curent conditions and Hopefully will See You Guys in the water here in Nha Trang.
Aloha From Mark Scott's Diving Viet Nam where we Dive with Aloha.

#8 DivingVietNam has been a member since 29/3/2011. Location: United States. Posts: 13
 Send DivingVietNam a private message   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.