Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

How Challening is Fansipan

Posted by ChrZap1703 on 16/3/2009 at 20:00

Hi All !

I'm going to Vietnam in a couple of days and I'll spend the first two weeks travelling the country with a mate, but for the last week, I plan to go to Sapa for some trekking. I took a look at various companies offering virtually all the same trek around the villages, but now I came across ET Pumpkin, which also offer treks up to Mount Fansipan. Doing this seems really tempting, I just thought maybe some people who have done Fansipan could give me some advice on how challenging it actually is. I did the West Highland Way and the Great Glen Way in Scotland last year and did quite fine.

And, while i'm on the topic: Anybody else who would like to join me for some trekking in Sapa ? I'll be in Hanoi from April 3rd and stay in Vietnam til the 11th.

#1 ChrZap1703 has been a member since 2/2/2009. Posts: 9

Posted by trailwalker on 16/3/2009 at 21:08

Posted from within Vietnam.

Fansipan is not challenging at all, just keep its easy as trekking/walking up & down hills. Fansipan “Climbing” does not demand high technical skills of the climbers, but a certain level of fitness and endurance is essential. It has 2 routes: one takes 3days, one takes 4days (or it is possible to be do with 2 days if you are in good physical shape). Of cause you have to hire guide, porters

The trekking day: A typical trekking day start at about 8am after breakfast. And finish at about 3pm.

What to bring:
Trekking boot or Gaiter (Waterproof and breathable gaiter, used for jungle trek, because u have to cross some streams), sun block, hat, anti-insect repellent, warm clothes, rain coat, toiletries, original passport, headlight (or torch), water bottle, your own Sleeping bag (sleeping bags from travel agent are ..???.. smell disgusting. I thought so many people used…and they no be washed)...
if u need more information, glad sending to my mail:

#2 trailwalker has been a member since 15/3/2009. Posts: 5

Posted by mixwa on 30/3/2009 at 09:56

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi all,

I have just done it yesterday in one day
Start 6 am for 9 hours
If you are in good shape you do it in one day
If not, in 2 days
You can contact my guide

#3 mixwa has been a member since 30/3/2009. Posts: 1

Posted by dageshi on 30/3/2009 at 19:15

The challenge is resisting the urge to call it fancipants.

#4 dageshi has been a member since 1/3/2008. Posts: 56

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.