Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Vietnam and Cambodia??

Posted by piglet44 on 7/4/2009 at 02:00

Trying to plan a trip to Vietnam,and can't decide whether to include Cambodia. We have to decide if we should fly directly to either Hanoi or HCMC and then spend 3 weeks travelling and then on to Siem Reap (and then we would have to backtrack to our departure point for return flight) or to fly into Bangkok ,and then go first to Cambodia and on to Vietnam,and then again we have to return to BKK to fly home.
It seems too complicated. Is it too rushed to do this in one trip?Is it practical to go to Angkor Wat first cos then it will all be an anticlimax after that ??
BTW we are not young backpackers, more like grey nomads.... if it is at all relevant.
All advice greatly appreciated :-)

#1 piglet44 has been a member since 13/8/2008. Posts: 20

Posted by busylizzy on 7/4/2009 at 02:35

Hi - I have been to Cambodia, but not Vietnam (although I'm in the midst of planning a trip there later this year). If you are only interested in seeing Siem Reap in Cambodia, you can get away with 3-4 days there without any problem, and spend the rest of your time travelling through Vietnam.

My question for you - is do you definitely need to depart from the city that you arrived in? IN other words, why not fly into Bkk then onto Siem Reap, then fly into Hanoi, travel to HCMC they fly home from there (assuming there are flights)? It might cost a bit more (in which case you need to weigh up the difference in costs -vs- convenience, etc).

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by piglet44 on 7/4/2009 at 12:58

thanks busylizzy it makes it way more expensive if we don't fly in and out of the same airport. But I will check up the difference.

#3 piglet44 has been a member since 13/8/2008. Posts: 20

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.