Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Ha Long Bay Independent

Posted by Asheai on 7/4/2009 at 14:50

So I have gone through a bunch of old threads but I am still not 100% sure about how to do this.

From Hanoi, you can catch a bus to Ha Long City where it is possible to catch a ferry to Cat Ba Island? Is this actually a ferry or is it a 'daytrip' on an organized tour boat?

From Cat Ba Island, is it possible to find Kayak tours that last overnight? Just kayaking, I mean, around the islands? How much should I expect this to cost, if it indeed exists?

Thank you!

#1 Asheai has been a member since 1/4/2009. Posts: 7

Posted by Asheai on 7/4/2009 at 14:55

I'm sorry, I also wanted to ask - how many days should I budget for this? I am so far planning only 1 day in Hanoi, and then 3 full days on Cat Ba island. I would like to do an overnight kayak trip (if possible), maybe some rockclimbing, and also renting a motorbike to scoot around the island for the day... also interested in treking inland in the jungle areas... although i am aware this is probably too much for the short time i have there!

#2 Asheai has been a member since 1/4/2009. Posts: 7

Posted by tingers on 9/4/2009 at 13:50

Posted from within Vietnam.

you would probably be best catching a bus to hai phong and taking the ferry from there. i've done this a couple of times and it's pretty easy. can't remember the details exactly but you take the local bus from hanoi and then a taxi from hai phong to the pier. ask around when you get to hai phong. the ferry is a ferry - it is not a tour boat. it'll probably take the better part of a day to get there.

accommodation there is really easy to find, there's guesthouses all along the main strip.

sorry, can't help you with info on kayaking from cat ba. i did do kayaking in halong bay recently but that was with an organsied trip from hanoi (which was really good). enjoy cat ba.

#3 tingers has been a member since 9/4/2009. Posts: 36

Posted by DLuek on 13/4/2009 at 10:29 TF writer

I took a bus from Gia Lam bus station, Hanoi, to Ha Long City and caught a tour boat to Cat Ba island, which took about 4 hours. Not sure if there's an actual ferry to the island from Ha Long City - perhaps from Hai Phong. Also not sure about kayaking from Cat Ba but I'm sure if you ask around at the guesthouses, someone will be happy to take you on a kayaking tour. That being said, it may be difficult if you're hoping to do the kayaking part independentely, but maybe you can just rent a kayak.

Good luck

#4 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,177
 Send DLuek a private message   Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.