Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Unique boat/jungle experience in South central Vietnam

Posted by henski on 12/4/2009 at 22:06

Hi All,

Travelling to Vietnam & Cambodia for 4 weeks in May.

Initially planning to not travel further north than Hoi ann.
Rough outline is HCMC, Chu cui tunnels, easy rider tour of central highlands (Dalat to Quy Nhon to Mui ne possibly), then entering Cambodia via the far south coast at HA Tien.
Does anyone recommend any really unique, off the beaten track experiences in the above area?
I really want to put myself out on a limb

Have always been fascinated by the movie Apocalypse Now so would love the experience of travelling up a river in a remote area of Vietnam or Cambodia into the “heart of darkness”, preferably on a military patrol boat but would settle for an equivalent (minus the gun fire and blow pipe tribesmen)

Can anyone advise? or have a similar experience to share?

Thanks in advance

#1 henski has been a member since 12/4/2009. Posts: 3

Posted by somtam2000 on 13/4/2009 at 10:20 admin

You'll love this... head to Northern Cambodia, Ban Lung and from there you can head to the hamlet of Voen Sai on the bank of the San River. From that you can take a pirogue upriver to a minority village that has some amazing jungle cemeteries to visit. You can also head downriver on an overnight boat to Stung Treng -- I've not done the latter as I didn't have time, but it would be an amazing trip.

Another option, given your taste for Apocalype Now, is to head south from Ban Lung to Lumphat which sits on the bank of the Srepok River -- this river is the river that inspired the river trip in the movie. The river empties out at Stung Treng, but it has a number of rapids on it -- not sure if it's length has boat traffic on it.

Report back on how you go!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.