Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

2 months in Vietnam

Posted by chrispyrolls on 23/4/2009 at 15:31

If you had 2 months to explore, where would you head to? After Hanoi , I was thinking of heading inland from Hoi An to Kon Tum, Pleiku down to Dalat. Then hitting the coast at Nha Trang... or maybe staying inland ... before heading to HCMC, Mekong, Phu Quoc.

Also Sapa / North of Hanoi is an option (as well as the above), but it will be Dec time... and am concerned it will be too cold! ... any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

#1 chrispyrolls has been a member since 2/11/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 198
 Send chrispyrolls a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by idreamofdurian on 24/4/2009 at 10:46 TF writer

2 months in Vietnam seems like overkill... Have you considered a side-trip to Cambodia or Laos? They're also warmer than northern Vietnam in the winter. I traveled Vietnam south to north in December/January and as soon as you were north of Nha Trang it was chilly... On the Halong boat trip we were freezing... don't count on doing any swimming or sea kayaking. Pack warm clothes and a coat with good wind protection if you're planning to do any motorcycle tours. It can be as low as 12C and the damp ocean air makes it even colder.

#2 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Send idreamofdurian a private message   Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by chrispyrolls on 24/4/2009 at 19:51

hi,

was it british chilly... or singapore chilly?...:)

thanks for the response - this will be as well as Laos, Cambodia ... so a big trip

#3 chrispyrolls has been a member since 2/11/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 198

Posted by idreamofdurian on 24/4/2009 at 22:11 TF writer

I'm Canadian - believe me it was cold!

There's endless things to do in Vietnam... Mui Ne was a surprising highlight of my trip (enjoyed it much more than Nha Trang). Other than the beach, it's a really nice area to rent a bike and explore (not much traffic) and you can go "dune-surfing" which is a pretty unique experience.

#4 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Send idreamofdurian a private message   Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by chrispyrolls on 25/4/2009 at 03:38

blimey it must be cold then! ... thanks very much

#5 chrispyrolls has been a member since 2/11/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 198

Posted by brucemoon on 27/4/2009 at 17:20

chrispyrolls

2 months in Vietnam sounds so wonderful. Those that think the nation can be 'seen' in a few weeks leave me gobsmacked.

But, then, so many people just spend their time in buses/trains/planes/taxis, etc. travelling between cities, and when in cities, just seek out nightclubs.

I could spend 2 months just south of the Mekong!

You haven't indicated your focus for the Vietnam trip. Maybe if you indicated what you want to focus upon, others could better assist.

cheers

#6 brucemoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by Phen0m on 2/5/2009 at 11:26

Posted from within Vietnam.

'2 months in Vietnam seems like overkill'

jep. I live here since June 2007 and I hate Vietnam.
My insider recommendation: Phu Quock!!! It is a small island with a tiny airport, is is ubelivaby beautiful, clear water. There are only less flights to there. I've been there, i know a german family living there they have a resort with like 5 huts, (2 beds per hut), there are less tourists there when you go before June.

#7 Phen0m has been a member since 2/5/2009. Posts: 6

Posted by Phen0m on 2/5/2009 at 11:27

Posted from within Vietnam.

Sorry i spelled Phu Quock wrog: it is Phu Quoc

#8 Phen0m has been a member since 2/5/2009. Posts: 6

Posted by travworld on 13/5/2009 at 06:26

I would just buy or rent a motorbike , and see it for yourself , after 2 months you should be able to visit every province. I like Quang Nam Near Tam ky good room prices cheaper food and nice nearby beach, no tourists , almost never.

#9 travworld has been a member since 9/7/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 23
 Send travworld a private message   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.